Q. Are there any chances for regrowth of my breasts?

Dr. Raghu
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 03, 2021

I am undergoing the fifth cycle of chemotherapy for my left breast. For the past five months, I am undergoing this treatment. Prior to chemotherapy, I was taking ayurvedic medicine for the same problem. I took the medicine for about eight months, but it did not have any benefit. At that time, I was not aware of the exact problem. I was advised to remove the breast completely, but by the god's grace, I was referred to a doctor in oncology. The surgery has not been performed. They started with chemotherapy. Till now, I have completed five cycles. Still, how many cycles are needed for me? Will rest be given to me after the cycles? I am unable to eat, swallow or drink. I have lost my appetite. I have vomiting. Motions are happening from when I start eating my regular diet. I am feeling very depressed and demotivated. I have lost hope from the past five months. My left breast is healing and dressing is done over it. The skin is removed over a part. My breast looks flat as if it is removed. There is itching over the breast. Are there any chances for the regrowth of my breast? If yes, how many months will it take? If it does not regrow, what is the alternative for that?

#

From your description, I fear that you have metastatic breast cancer. Usually, the surgery is done after four cycles of chemotherapy for locally advanced breast cancer. As you have undergone five cycles, you must be on palliative chemotherapy to control the disease. Usually, it is reassessed at every three cycles to know the response and treatment is based on it, which may include a change in the type of chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, etc.

You may require toilet mastectomy at some stage for your ulceration of the breast or it may be controlled with radiotherapy. These decisions are made by your oncologist and kindly ask him or her in detail. I am answering this based on your description. I can better answer if all reports are presented.

Revert back with the reports to a surgical oncologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/surgical-oncologist

|