Q. Cow's milk with little sugar result in loose motion in my 2-month-old kid. What should I do?

Dr. Hardika Kothari
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 16, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 03, 2020

My son is 2 months old. He always cries and sleep very less and always demand milk as I produce less milk. I gave him cow's milk with a little bit of sugar into it. And from the last two days, he is having losse motion. What should I do?

#

I suppose you are taking a lot of tension. Milk output has a correlation with maternal emotions. Positive outlook will stimulate the release of oxytocin that enhances milk production. You need to worry less. Have a good diet and maintain good hydration. Spend more time with the baby, talk to him, caress him, this will enhance mother-baby bonding.

I guess there is a problem with the latching. You should always feed in a relaxed position whether sitting or lying down. You can take a support of pillow. Hold the baby such that his neck and body are in straight line with his body facing towards you and body touching your abdomen. You should not lean on the baby, instead, bring the baby on your breast. Attachment should be proper. Mouth wide open. Lower lips turned outwards. Upper areola visible. Chin touching breast.

Feed the baby from one breast at a time for 15-20 minutes so that he takes both foremilk and hindmilk that satisfies his thirst and hunger respectively. To increase the milk production you can have tablet Perinorm 10 mg thrice a day for three days.

Cow’s milk in some babies may lead to cow milk protein allergy. Kindly refrain from giving cow’s milk. Instead focus on giving exclusive breast feeding. Take good care of your self, be positive and remain motivated.

You can give formula feeds instead of cow’s milk. Breastfeeding has lots of benefits. It prevents diarrhea, pneumonia, and improves immunity.

For baby, you can give probiotic sachet (Darolac) half sachet twice a day for five days. Give feed every two hourly to maintain hydration. Watch for urine output (normal urine output five to six times a day). If the baby is lethargic or there is increase in the frequency of stools, consult a local pediatrician.

|