Q. I have only little milk. How to increase my breast milk supply?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 20, 2020

I am a mother of 4 months baby boy. I had a normal delivery and after the delivery, I got a very little milk and was not able to feed my baby. After 10 days, I had an issue with my delivery stitches as I had an episiotomy. So resuturing happened and was not at all able to feed my baby due to severe pain. Currently, my baby is on bottle feed and now I am trying to feed him and he is not latching. I tried using the hand pump so that I can express some milk. I know that the milk supply has gone down as I was not latching him after my surgery. Can you please advise on how can I increase my breast milk supply?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

The best way for you right now is to let the child latch on the breast for atleast 5 to 10 minutes every day. After this latching is done, give the child some top-up milk using a bottle and nipple. If the child wants to latch on for more time, let the child latch. It just means that we are in the right direction. Follow this schedule over two weeks, and a time will come when the supply of milk and latching on of the baby to the breast will be so good that the child will stop taking formula milk after the breastfeeding.

Also, you can take Satavarex powder two scoops powder in 250 ml milk twice a day for increasing the milk supply.

| 

My gynecologist suggested me to take Lactare and Lactonic granules. Can I use those instead of Satavarex? Also, I am trying my baby to put near me from the past few days, but he is rejecting may he got used to bottle feed. So I started the breast pump and I am feeling really worried as I am not able to feed him. I know it is a silly question, but I am still confused whether I will get milk now as it has been four months of my delivery. Please advice.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

You can use Lactare and Lactonic granules instead of Satavarex. And you will get milk even now. Do not worry. Firstly, with the breast pump you can judge how much milk is coming. However, use the pump only in the initial few days to know how much you are producing with each pump. Even if you are producing 20 ml with each pump from the starting, the quantity will go on improving in a week or two weeks once the baby starts latching and you become confident.

| 

Actually, I am trying only the breast pump from the past one week without baby latch and I could see only a drop coming and nothing much. So I was a little disappointed as it has been four months of delivery. Please let me know if there is a particular frequency and time when I can use a breast pump and baby latch in a day.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

If you feel there is only one drop, please use the Lactare and the Lactonic granules for at least four to five days. You can use it for more days since it is safe. It would be advisable in the initial phases (5 to 7 days), to pump in the mornings followed by letting the child latch on in the evening and night. As in 50 percent of the time use the pump and 50 percent of the time, let the baby latch. Considering there is only one drop coming, I think it may take up to two weeks to two weeks and a half to get to full capacity. Do not worry so much. Using the above-mentioned techniques, many mothers have managed to get the child off the bottle feed. Some hard work will be required in the initial stages as you will need to pump, latch the child and also prepare formula for two to three weeks. But hopefully, it should not go in vain. Do not worry.

|