Q. I have breathing difficulty with calcification in aortic valve. Please help.

Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay

I was hospitalized in January in India for two days and then in Nigeria (I live here) for dry cough, a bit of breathing trouble, and pneumonia. X-ray of the lungs was clear and also had a bit of difficulty in breathing. However, they treated me for community acquired pneumonia and malaria, still at times I use to face a slight difficulty in breathing not all the time, one of my friend (radiologist) suggested an LFT test and also a CT chest. LFT did not show much variation however CT showed calcification in the aortic valve.

In january the ESR was showing high and platelets were also low, however, in March it shows normal except for breathing issue at times. No other issues experienced as of now. I know my weight is high and I am working towards reducing it and joined a gym. I am also following keto diet. Kindly advise due to lockdown because of Covid-19 I cannot travel to India and options of good cardiologists are very limited here.

#

You had breathing difficulty, altered consciousness, allergic condition and you were admitted for that. Now you have slight difficulty in breathing. I have gone through all your reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Not to worry. You have a calcified aortic valve for which nothing to be done. As you cannot come to India for lockdown until then I suggest you some medicine which will help you to take care of your breathing difficulty at times and also take care of allergic factor which you had.

1.Duolin inhaler two puff two to three times daily at the time of breathing difficulty.

2. Tablet Montair LC (Montelukast and Levocetirizine) one tablet daily around 9 PM daily for two weeks. Based on the response we will review. Lockdown in India will be over by that time then you can do physical check.

Do breathing exercises. Take a deep breath and hold for 5 seconds and expel it out forcibly for a period of five minutes daily.

| 

I am following a high-fat low carb diet for weight loss (keto diet). Is that fine? It is helping me to lose my stubborn tummy fat. I have lost 6 kg in two months.

#

It is fine. I understand that now you are committed to do this. I suggest walking for 30-40 minutes daily will help you more to reduce your weight. Do intermittent fasting (fasting for 16 hours) once in a week. See the result after one month.

| 

I have pain in ribs and breathing problems. Is it a sign of lung cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, For past four weeks, I have pain in my ribs. Also, I am experiencing breathing problems. It feels like something has stuck in the heart. For, a few days pain has been decreased. But breathing problem persists. I am also experiencing pain in my lower back. The pain is massive at night tim...  Read Full »

Why do I feel giddy while standing or walking?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 56 year old male. I am on BP medicine Cresar 40 since a month. Prior to that, I was on Aten 50. Now, my BP is around 130/100 mmHg and before it was 160/106 mmHg. When I take my walk or I am standing I feel giddy, probably for less than a second. It is more prevalent when I turn my...  Read Full »

Why do I wake after sleeping with high heart rate and breathing problems?

Query: Hello doctor, I nearly wake up every night two to three hours after I go to bed. Symptoms are high heart rate (150 to 170) and breathing problems. My heart has been diagnosed and today I got an X-ray of my lung. What I think is strange. I only wake up, when I lie on my right side. I never woke up w...  Read Full »