Q. My mother in law is suffering from cough and breathlessness. What does her CT scan report say?

Dr. Amolkumar W. Diwan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 30, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My mother in law is 75 years old and she is diabetic. She had been treated for ulcer one year back. She is suffering from cough and breathlessness for more than two weeks. Doctor advised for a CT scan. Please see the attached report and guide us further.

What does the report say? How serious is her health condition? Kindly mention the precautions to be taken and treatment for the same.

#

I have read the history and CT scan report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Your mother in law is a known diabetic. Now, she is suffering from cough and breathlessness since last 2-3 weeks. This can be due to COPD which is chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. 
  • Her chest CT scan shows old healed lesions of tuberculosis. But, it might have gone unnoticed. 
  • Kindly get her sputum checked for AFB to rule out reactivation of old tuberculosis. 
  • Sugar levels must be controlled and maintained within normal range. 
  • Also do spirometry test that is PFT (Pulmonary Function test) for breathlessness, to confirm COPD. 

If she has not received any antibiotics, I would suggest the following:

• Tablet Cepodem-XL 200mg (Cefpodoxime) one tablet in the morning and one at night.
  • Capsule Sompraz-D (Esomeprazole and Domperidone) one tablet in the morning before food.
  • Foracort 400 inhaler (Budesonide and Formoterol) 2 puffs twice daily with Zerostat VT spacer.
  • Syrup Broncorex (Terbutaline) 2 teaspoonful, three times a day.
  • Also continue her regular medicines. She should continue inhalers for long term for breathlessness. She can continue taking her normal soft diet except sweets.
  • Do not worry about the CT scan findings as nothing is serious at present except for the old tuberculosis lesions. 

Hope she will be fine with this treatment. Take care.

Revert back to a pulmonologist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

|