Q. I have seasonal asthmatic attack with history of smoking. How could I control this?

Dr. Gauri Gadge
This is a premium question & answer published on May 05, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 16, 2020

I am 19 years old and asthmatic. I weigh around 56 kg. My asthma is not severe and it is seasonal asthma and only happens during season change. Lately, my asthma is not going away I did a myteka and fexet course along an antibiotic course. I do use Ventolin inhaler which gives me relief. Normally, these days when I wake up I feel short of breath, again it is not that severe it is like 20%. When I am not sick my asthma goes away it does not bother me at all during any physical activities. I am a chain-smoker and have been smoking for two years yet it never made a problem. Any suggestions?

#

I can see that you are worried about your asthma. Let us start from scratch. Firstly, let us confirm your diagnosis of asthma and because you are having symptoms now it is the best time to perform spirometry.

Secondly, for asthma, you have to use inhalational medication for at least a year after diagnosis and then we can taper-off as you are relieved of symptoms. I totally understand this is a long duration, but we need the medication for controlling your future symptoms.

Thirdly, the medicine (Ventorlin) will provide you immediate relief but it will not prevent further attacks, so you need to add inhalational corticosteroids to your medication. And last but not least, you need to quit smoking. You already know the health hazards of smoking and in your case, it is worsening your asthma symptoms. It will be a difficult job but I can help you with that, only if you want.

Poorly controlled asthma due to smoking, not taking medicine regularly and not taking inhalational corticosteroid as well.

Spirometry with bronchodilator reversibility testing.

Poorly controlled asthma.

Inhaler (Formoterol 6 mcg + Budesonide 200 mcg) with spacer, two puffs twice daily and can be taken up to four times daily if required and once exacerbation is over it can be tapered off for a month. Tablet Fexofenadine 120 mg once a day for a month.

Quit smoking. Avoid exposure to allergens. PEFR (peak expiratory flow rate) monitoring.

Follow up with investigations.

|