Q. I am diagnosed with exercise-induced asthma. Can I cure it?

Answered by
Dr. Amolkumar W. Diwan
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 02, 2018

Hello doctor,

I am an 18-year-old male. I play football and run. About 5 to 6 months ago, I noticed that I could not get a full breath when and only when I was exercising. The only medication I was on was Accutane. I have since completed my Accutane cycle and have had an appointment with a pulmonologist. I was diagnosed with exercise-induced asthma, or exercise-induced bronchoconstriction and prescribed a Dulera inhaler and Singulair pills. I noticed a major difference in my breathing and it felt normal. Once my prescriptions ran out, and my next lung function test being two months away, I decided to see if I could still run and breath normally with no inhaler or Singulair. I was fine for a few weeks but it has since started back again to where I cannot get my full breaths. I want to know if there is any way I can cure my EIB or get off my inhaler and prescription because my plan is to join the military, and you can not enlist if you are on any medications or inhalers. Any feedback is beneficial.



Welcome to

Exercise-induced bronchoconstriction or asthma is very common if you are experiencing shortness of breath after exercise. As you said, you were prescribed on Singulair (Montelukast sodium) and Dulera (Mometasone furoate and Formoterol fumarate) inhaler after which you were fine. Let me clear it to you that any asthma is a chronic disease affecting the airways. After exercise, changes occur in airways which produces a cough and bronchoconstriction.

For the management of asthma, especially exercise-induced, you must take inhalers regularly. So there is no question of stopping the treatment. There is no way that this condition can be cured in long-term care. So there is no permanent cure for exercise-induced asthma. The only way you can control it is with the use of inhalers. So I advise you to continue same treatment and repeat your spirometry test to confirm the diagnosis.

For more information consult a pulmonologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
While doing exercise I feel shortness of breath and sweating. Why?

.. consulting me at this platform. I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concerns. I think you need to carry out taking the same medication as this is a mandatory medication. Exercise induced asthma may ...   Read full

Is shortness of breath related to thyroid issues?

.. read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that you have hypothyroidism. From your tests, I would suggest that you decrease the dose of Thyronorm to 75 mcg once daily. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and ch...   Read full

Is it safe to give Levolin inhaler along with Montair LC to my kid?

for my kid for four years and Levolin inhaler along with Montair LC kids tablet daily and some cough syrup since he is allergic ... The doctor insists always at least for three months to continue the in...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Relation Between Enamel Hypoplasia and Dental Caries
Enamel hypoplasia is due to incomplete or defective formation in the organic matrix, which forms the first layer of the ...  Read more»
Methods to Increase Breast Milk Production
Several measures can help mothers in increasing their breast milk production. Find out the correct way to breastfeed thr...  Read more»
Ingrown Hair: How Can You Prevent and Treat It
An ingrown hair is a hair strand that grows back into the skin after a clean shave or waxing. It appears as a raised dar...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Pulmonologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.