Q. I am diagnosed with exercise-induced asthma. Can I cure it?

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

I am an 18-year-old male. I play football and run. About 5 to 6 months ago, I noticed that I could not get a full breath when and only when I was exercising. The only medication I was on was Accutane. I have since completed my Accutane cycle and have had an appointment with a pulmonologist. I was diagnosed with exercise-induced asthma, or exercise-induced bronchoconstriction and prescribed a Dulera inhaler and Singulair pills. I noticed a major difference in my breathing and it felt normal. Once my prescriptions ran out, and my next lung function test being two months away, I decided to see if I could still run and breath normally with no inhaler or Singulair. I was fine for a few weeks but it has since started back again to where I cannot get my full breaths. I want to know if there is any way I can cure my EIB or get off my inhaler and prescription because my plan is to join the military, and you can not enlist if you are on any medications or inhalers. Any feedback is beneficial.

#

Welcome to icliniq.cm.

Exercise-induced bronchoconstriction or asthma is very common if you are experiencing shortness of breath after exercise. As you said, you were prescribed on Singulair (Montelukast sodium) and Dulera (Mometasone furoate and Formoterol fumarate) inhaler after which you were fine. Let me clear it to you that any asthma is a chronic disease affecting the airways. After exercise, changes occur in airways which produces a cough and bronchoconstriction.

For the management of asthma, especially exercise-induced, you must take inhalers regularly. So there is no question of stopping the treatment. There is no way that this condition can be cured in long-term care. So there is no permanent cure for exercise-induced asthma. The only way you can control it is with the use of inhalers. So I advise you to continue same treatment and repeat your spirometry test to confirm the diagnosis.

For more information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

|