Q. I have bilateral bronchiectasis with chest pain and shortness of breath. Kindly suggest treatment options.

Dr. Zubayeralam

I am a 19-year-old female. I have suffered from bilateral bronchiectasis for the past five months, and I have not received any treatment yet due to the pandemic situation. Currently, I often get regular chest pain and shortness of breath. I also did a blood split two years ago. My stomach is bloated and heavy all the time. What should I do now? I have my professional exams this month, which I can appear next year also. Can I appear for my exam or not? Would it cause any risk in this pandemic? Can you suggest me any opinion? I will upload my CT scan report here. Can you say my level of damage? Kindly help.

#

I have seen the CT scan report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have had bilateral bronchiectasis. You have also been suffering from chest pain and shortness of breath.

Bronchiectasis is the condition in which permanent dilatation of bronchi occurs. It is a progressive and severe condition. Without treatment, it may turn into respiratory failure. But early diagnosis and timely treatment can help manage the symptoms and lead an almost normal life like other people.

In this pandemic situation, people with bronchiectasis are more vulnerable to develop serious life-threatening COVID-19 infections or complications.

Appearing to the exam will depend solely on your health conditions on that specific period. Your present health condition will not let you sit for the exam. So, at first, you should improve your health conditions by reducing your present sufferings. You have not mentioned your drug history. For controlling the symptoms of bronchiectasis, you have to take some medications.

You can take Azithromycin orally to prevent respiratory infections, nebulization with Tobramycin for one month, Salbutamol inhaler, Fexofenadine, and Montelukast to reduce the bronchial spasm. Along with that, you can take steroids either orally or in the form of inhalation.

During the exam period, your health conditions will decide everything.

I feel not to take up when there are complications, as I am unaware of it. And I am taking Ayurveda medicines currently. Will that bring any further damage or threats?

#

Sorry, I have no idea about Ayurvedic medications for bronchiectasis. If you feel better by using those ayurvedic medications, you can continue. But you should also take some allopathic medications like Salbutamol, antihistamines, Montelukast, and broad-spectrum antibiotics for relieving your bronchial spasm and prevent repeated respiratory tract infections. I strongly suggest that.

You can consult with a respiratory specialist in your area. He will prescribe some medications, and you should take those regularly and also do lung function tests. You can take ayurvedic medications along with a respiratory specialist's prescribing medications if there are no contraindications or interactions.

Kindly submit your doctor's prescription and investigation results to your exam controlling authority. They can arrange an alternative for you.

In case of any other query, knock me, and I will try to reply to you further.

| 

Is lung biopsy needed to diagnose bronchiectasis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been referred to a pulmonologist based on the following CT scan report for chronic cough and fatigue. Mild cylindrical bronchiectasis to the lower lung fields with evidence of bronchial wall thickening and mild dilatation. Additionally, ill defined airspace opacities of the extre...  Read Full »

What are the side effects of taking levofloxacin and azithromycin tablets?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 19 year old male and I weigh 46 kg. Over the last seven months, I am suffering from fever along with chest and back pain. I also have body ache and little blocked nose but not runny nose. The mucus keeps coming out from my mouth. I have headache and I feel very tired. My stool is ...  Read Full »

Shall I take Azithromycin for chest congestion and cold?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 38 years old and I weigh 55 kg. l am having chest congestion and cold. The doctor prescribed me Azithromycin 500 mg for three days and Levocetirizine. I am asthmatic. I am also taking Foracort 400 twice a day whenever I have a breathing problem. My symptoms are not impr...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Pulmonologist Now