Q. My infant has chest retractions due to severe cold. Should I be worried?

Dr. Simy Mathew

My 24 days old baby is suffering from cold which retracts her chest making noisy breathing sound liƙe there is thick mucus in the chest. We are using Amoxicillin suspension but there is still no improvement. The doctor has now placed her on Cefixime suspension 2.5 mL twice a day. Do you have any suggestion?

#

• I suggest you get a chest X-ray and a blood test to know the level of infection rather than changing the antibiotics. Along with antibiotics, I suggest you give her nebulizations.
  • Also, if she has got chest retractions, check her saturation level. If it is below 95 percent, she needs to be admitted to the hospital.
  • She would have initially had a viral infection. But, there can be a secondary bacterial infection. In small babies, most of the time it is viral for which antibiotics are not required.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|