Q. My 1. 1 years old baby often gets cold and cough. Why?

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My daughter is 1.1 years old and she weights around 8.5 kg. For the last couple of months she gets cold and cough for every 10 days. We are not using any medication. Let us know if we have to get her tested. Is this is really a concern. Apart from this, she is very active and has no other issues. Please suggest any medication if needed.

#

• This is common in children in this age group.
  • Due to the seasonal variation, children of this age group are prone to get upper respiratory infections especially children who are bottle fed.
  • You should only be worried if your child develops fever persistently or repeatedly and if the color of the secretions from yellow to green.
  • Mild episodes of cough and cold can be treated by medications such as Sinarest AF (combination of Phenylephrine hydrochloride and Chlorpheniramine maleate) or Maxtra or T-minic, saline nasal drops in nose and Paracetamol for fever.
  • If possible some steam inhalation would also be of great help.
  • I will not suggest any antibiotic until there is fever or discolored secretions from the nose. Maintain hygiene if the child is bottle fed.

Seasonal.

Viral.

Rhinitis and bronchiolitis.

For further information consult a paediatrician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|