Q. My 10-month-old baby has a high fever with bronchitis. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Zubayeralam

My 10-month-old baby girl has been having a fever of 103-104 for the past four days. I took her to the ER, and they tested her for flu, strep, and RSV. All of which were negative. Chest x-ray showed bronchitis in both lungs, along with inflammation, and they were unsure about the cause of her high fever. They had also done some bloodwork. Her WBC was 8.1 k/uL, neutrophils 26%, and lymphocytes 69%. What is your opinion about this? Should I be concerned? Is there something else going on that is more serious than just bronchitis?

She is currently on Motrin, Tylenol, Amoxicillin, and steroid.

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, your 10 months old baby girl has been suffering from high fever. Her CXR (chest x-ray) shown acute bronchitis (inflammation of bronchus), and CBC (complete blood count) report has shown slightly high lymphocytes, and neutrophils are slightly below normal.

The clinical features of bronchitis are fever, cough, runny nose, etc. The fever may rise to 101 to 102° F and may persist for three to five days, even after antibiotics. Even bronchitis can turn into pneumonia with worse symptoms and develop high fever like 103-104° F. Please beware of that.

Her raised lymphocytes indicate the inflammation of the bronchus. If your child has a cough, runny nose, or breathing difficulties, you can give antihistamine or ketotifen, Levosalbutamol, etc. If you think Amoxicillin is not effective enough or her bronchitis may turn into pneumonia, then you can change her current antibiotics and give Cefixime instead of Amoxicillin.

| 

I am suffering from bronchitis, asthma, piles, and hyperacidity. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor,I am 26 years old and suffering from bronchitis, asthma, piles, and hyperacidity at the same time. What should I do? Which doctor should I consult?  Read Full »

Fever in Babies: When to Call the Doctor

Article Overview: Fever is a non-specific symptom. When babies have fever, it can be traumatic for the parents as well, because they are unsure of what is causing it and how to soothe the baby. Adding to their anxiety, the baby is unable to explain his/ her discomfort in words. This article deals with how to take care of a baby who is down with fever and when to seek medical help. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S
Child Health Specialist

Fever is not an illness by itself, but a symptom. It can be due to virus or bacteria. Viral fevers that come with the common flu or cold tend to subside within three days. They do not require antibiotics as these medicines have no effect on the virus. On the other hand, bacterial fevers like urinary...  Read Article

Bronchitis And COVID-19

Article Overview: Bronchitis is a lung disease. Read this article to know the risk of COVID-19 associated with bronchitis. Read Article

Dr. Lochana
Pulmonologist

What Is COVID-19? COVID-19 has been ruling the world completely. The whole world is clueless about the happenings since the information has been spread about the virus is unpredictable. It has been very frightening to see the fate of countries like Italy and the USA. From a small animal market, it ...  Read Article

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»