Q. My sister is suffering from bronchitis. Is she contagious?

Dr. Utkarsh Sharma
and medically reviewed by Dr. Infanteena Marily

My sister got bronchitis, and she went to the hospital, and they told her it was not contagious, and they sent her back to work after two days. I decided to do my research, and I came to find out that it is contagious. I am distraught because she was around my 2-year-old child and me. I struggle with severe anxiety, and I am overthinking right now.

#

I understand your concern and will help you regarding it.

Bronchitis means inflamed bronchi (the tubes that carry air to the lungs). There are many causes of bronchitis. It can be acute or chronic.

A viral infection mainly causes acute bronchitis, but smoke and chemical irritants can also cause it. When the virus is a causal agent, it is contagious. But do not worry; it is self-limiting within ten days in most cases. Now, as exposure has already occurred, wait for the incubation period to get over.

You can increase consumption of citrus fruits rich in Vitamin C; it will boost your immunity and help fight the infection if you get it. Take lots of fluids.

Do not worry. Take care and all the best.

If symptoms appear.

|