Q. Will I get lung cancer with a 3 year history of smoking?

Published on Jan 17, 2017

I am 17 years old and turning 16 this month. I have been smoking marijuana and cigarettes for nearly three years or maybe less. I have been feeling pressure or a bubble like feeling in my left lung. I have really bad anxiety when it comes to thinking that I have cancer. It paranoids me. I also feel that my left lung is larger than the other when I breathe in and look down. But, I have not been having the main symptoms of cancer like coughing blood, peeing blood, loss of appetite, etc. I have been dizzy, but that is when I get up from sitting and I think that is normal. I went to the hospital a year ago as I had so much anxiety about the possibility of developing lung cancer and death. Then did x-rays and scans, But they found nothing and sent me home. They said it was chest wall pain. I just want to know, is it possible that I could have lung cancer? Can someone as young as me get lung cancer? If it is not lung cancer, then why am I expericing this discomfort in my left lung?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

• Lung cancer at this age is rare. Also, three years is not a duration that will lead to cancer and exposure needs to be in decades.
  • Also, you already underwent investigation and found nothing. I think you should not be worried at this stage. Your symptoms are psychological.
  • You probably focus on giving up the addiction. You can use nicotine gum for smoking de-addiction and for marijuana you visit local de-addiction center.
  • Also, do regular exercises, chest physiotherapy and try to ignore these problems. I guess, you do not have other symptoms like shortness of breath.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Can smoking cessation cause strained bowel movements?

Query: Hello doctor, My age is 39 years. I have quit smoking, cold turkey after smoking for almost 18 years. It is my 29th day of being smoke-free. Everything was going fine until last 7 to 10 days my bowel movement has been strainful. Few days I have seen very small sized hard stools and sometimes small ...  Read Full »

What can I do to manage anxiety attacks?

Query: Hi doctor, I get a type of anxiety and fear of going out somewhere. Six years ago, when I was in high school some guy gave me something to smoke. I did not know what it was. That day, I went home and I was high. The next morning I woke up fine and went to school. After some time, I started to feel l...  Read Full »

My dad complains of a pain in his left leg seven years after a stroke. Please guide me.

Query: Hello doctor, My father suffered a stroke seven years ago, that got the right side of his body numb and non-functioning. But, after all these years, he constantly refers to a pain in his left leg. Can you tell me what would give him relief from this pain? I am attaching his latest reports here.  Read Full »