Q. My kid is 2. 5 years old and did not drink top-up milk. Should I worry about her calcium levels?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

My daughter is 2.5 years old. She stops taking top milk when she was one year old. I am giving her breastfeed four to five times a day until now. And she eats all kinds of fruits and chapatti with vegetables. The problem is I am concerned about her calcium intake as she does not drink top milk, and I have stopped taking calcium for the past one year to avoid overdosing, which I used to take after post-delivery, but I do take two glasses of milk daily. She sometimes enjoys curd but not always, moreover it has been 2.5 years, and my milk supply is also reduced. I am worried about her calcium intake. What should I do? Should I start retaking calcium, or are there other sources I can try? Please suggest.

#

Breastfeeding is not advisable after two years. The very reason that the child is not feeding on outside milk or top-up milk is that the child is already getting nutrition from the breast milk. I would suggest first to stop breastfeeding.

Regarding the child's calcium intake, I am quite sure it is being met since you are breastfeeding the child four times a day. You can give her normal milk to drink rather than using formula or breastfeeding to take care of the calcium needs. Also, be rest assured that if your child's weight is 10 kg or more, all nutrition demands have been met. So you need not worry.

|