Q. I have low vitamin D and testosterone. Is this the reason for my forgetfulness?

Dr. Divakara P
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 13, 2019

I am 50 year old. My height is 179 cm and weight 85 kg. Recently, I have tested for free testosterone and vitamin D. Both are on lower side. I am also taking Thyronorm 75 mg since last 7-8 years. I have attached my medical file of past health issues. After 7 PM, I feel very low and confused. My sex drive has also been affected. I am doing exercise for about 1 to 1.5 hours daily, and still I am gaining weight. I have also persisting heel pain. I am partially bald. 14 years ago TRT was done. The report and medication are attached. My doctor has prescribed Arachitol 6 lakhs units once a month for three months. Please suggest some medicine for my condition. I would also like to know whether the TRT is required again. Thanks.

#

Well, for your low testosterone and low vitamin D you need to take supplements. For vitamin D, I recommend Cholecalciferol sachets or tablets 60000 units weekly once for three months. Also take Calcium supplements every night. For testosterone, you need to get Testosterone injections once in 15 days.

But neither low vitamin D nor low testosterone can explain your forgetfulness or confusion. It needs further evaluation to know the cause of forgetfulness or confusion. In that regard, I recommend the following tests to you. Serum vitamin B12, serum sodium, and serum cortisol (8 AM and 4 PM).

Regarding your inability to lose weight, you need to increase the intensity of your exercise and go on a low-calorie diet.

Thanks for your advice. I have attached the latest blood test reports for your reference.

#

I went through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) posted by you.

In that, I have noticed Vitamin B12 level is on the lower side of the normal range. Though it comes within the range, I will take it as deficiency only, because in most of the people it will be seen in the mid range.

Hence, I recommend Vitamin B12 injections, injection Rejunuron weekly once for two months. This shall improve your forgetfulness and confusion.

|