Q. I have a bump on the left side of the nose for a long time. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Bruce Hudkins
bump on the left side of the nose. feels like cartilage or bone. always been there since I can remember. the right side of my nose doesn't have a bump whatsoever. I've always experienced breathing problems. Don't know if I should be concerned or that it's just something that will always be there
# Hello and welcome!

This is likely resultant from an old fracture, possibly acquired at a very young age from the normal bumps and bruises of being a child and learning to walk, etc.... As we get older, this can lead to chronic nasal obstruction as not only does the outside of the nose show signs of the old fracture, but the midline structure within the nose can become more and more deviated. This leads to increasing blockage over time.
One easy way to tell what is causing your nasal obstruction is to go to Boots or some other pharmacy and get some oxymetazoline AND a nasal steroid spray such as fluticasone. First squirt a BUNCH of the oxymetazoline into your nose and if this relieves the nasal obstruction, then you can use the nasal steroid spray over the next 2-3 months daily to see if your nasal obstruction clears. If the oxymetazoline DOESN'T help, then the nasal steroid unlikely to work. (Maybe you should buy the oxymetazoline first to see if it would be worth spending the money on the nasal steroid spray!) If you get no relief with the oxymetazoline, it indicates that more than likely you have a severely deviated nasal septum and should consult ant ENT to have it fixed.

|