Q. I have a bump on the left side of the nose for a long time. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Bruce Eric Hudkins
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 28, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 23, 2021

I had a bump on the left side of my nose. It feels like cartilage or bone. It has always been there since I can remember. The right side of my nose does not have a bump whatsoever. I have always experienced breathing problems. I do not know if I should be concerned or that it is just something that will always be there.

#

This is likely resultant from an old fracture, possibly acquired at a very young age from the normal bumps and bruises of being a child and learning to walk, etc. As we get older, this can lead to chronic nasal obstruction as not only does the outside of the nose show signs of the old fracture, but the midline structure within the nose can become more and more deviated. This leads to increasing the blockage over time. One easy way to tell what is causing your nasal obstruction is to go to some pharmacy and get some Oxymetazoline and a nasal steroid spray such as Fluticasone. First, squirt a bunch of Oxymetazoline into your nose, and if this relieves the nasal obstruction, then you can use the nasal steroid spray over for the next 2 to 3 months daily to see if your nasal obstruction clears. If the Oxymetazoline does not help, then the nasal steroid unlikely to work. Maybe you should buy the Oxymetazoline first to see if it would be worth spending the money on the nasal steroid spray. If you get no relief with the Oxymetazoline, it indicates that more than likely you have a severely deviated nasal septum and should consult an ENT to have it fixed.

|