Q. What is the degree of burns in a baby injured by boiling water?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 12, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 14, 2019

1 year and 10 months old boy got injured by boiling water, the doctor pricked some of the blisters. The hospital could not say which degree of burn it is, so we are concerned and want to get a second opinion since he is crying a lot and is in pain, the doctor did not advise anything further. He is around 10 kg. The genital parts also have some blisters. Picture has been attached. The white area on the picture is Flammazine cream that the doctor prescribed. Should we find another hospital, is it serious?

#

This qualifies for approximately 9 percent burns (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The child will need to take some painkiller medications like syrup Crocin DS (250 mg/5 ml), 2.5 ml thrice a day for 3 to 5 days to reduce the pain. As regarding the cream, it is good, please continue using it. Unfortunately, I will not be able to judge from the picture if the child needs Bactigrass application or no to the burn site. This can only be assessed by a surgeon. Hence, it is advisable to get the child physically evaluated by a surgeon as early as possible. If required, the surgeon will clean up the wound and debride or leave the skin as it is and can assess if the child needs Bactigrass sheet application or no.

|