Q. What causes a burning sensation during urination other than UTI and STDs?

Dr. Samer Samer Juma Ali Altawil
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I have had a burning sensation during urination for more than a month. I also noticed red dots on the tip of my penis. The spots do not itch and have no discharge. I consulted a doctor and tested for UTI and STDs. Both the results came back negative.

Kindly help.

#

I saw the pictures attached (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity).

As the cultures report, urine tests and tests for STD (sexually transmitted disease) came as negative, the possible cause for suffering is prostatitis which is an inflammation of the prostate gland. I suggest you do a semen culture to select the appropriate antibiotic for the treatment. There is no need to worry about the red dots as it is dermatitis, and it will resolve on its own.

Kind regards.

Thanks for the reply.

From the photos that I have seen on the internet, I seem to have balanitis. Can I take a picture of my penis and attach it here?

Thanks.

#

Yes, you can send your photo. Balanitis can be treated by steroidal cream like Hydrocortisone cream. You need to apply it twice daily for one week.

Kindly revert with the semen culture report.

Kind regards.

Thank you for the reply.

I have a consultation with the urologist tomorrow. From there, I will ask for that test. I have been tested for syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia, and UTI. And the reports came back negative.

Thanks.

#

Thanks for the follow-up. I saw your tests for gonorrhea, chlamydia, and UTI (urinary tract infection) was negative. You are waiting for the result of trichinosis. I saw the pictures of red dots on your glans penis (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). Did you use Hydrocortisone cream? Did you give a sample for semen culture?

Kind regards.

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I am using the cream. I can post an updated photo. Did you see the syphilis test? What do these results mean? I also have itchy dots on some parts of my body.

Thanks.

#

Yes, I saw the reports, and it says non-reactive syphilis, which means negative. The dots on different parts of the body is not really related to genitalia and it needs to be checked by a dermatologist. It might be an allergic infection that needs proper assessment and diagnosis with treatment. Usually, STD (sexually transmitted disease) might cause it. But as the test is negative, it is something else. If you have any more queries please let me know.

Kind regards.

Thanks for the reply.

I just noticed these spots under my penis.

Thanks.

#

Welcome back to ilciniq.com.

Those are simple pustules and they can resolve with antibiotics. You can take tablet Augmentine 625 mg (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) twice daily for a week.

Kind regards.

Thanks for the reply.

I consulted an urologist, but did not do any test. They also stated it might be balanitis. They prescribed me Clotrimazole, Betamethason dipropionate cream, and Doxycycline 100 mg. I completed the pills, but still using the cream. My symptoms have not cleared yet. I have mild irritation when I pee.

Kindly help.

#

Welcome back to ilciniq.com.

Your prescription is good, but Doxycycline does not work against prostatitis. And since we do not have a urine culture report, it is advisable to start Ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice daily for four weeks. I hope that will resolve your burning sensation during urination. Red spots will resolve with time.

If you have any more queries, please let me know.

Kind regards.

|