Q. What are the ways to reduce whole body swelling after bypass surgery?

Dr. Tarek Algamal

I have an 80-year-old grandmother who went in for a triple heart bypass a year back. But she now suffers from swelling throughout her body. The diuretics will not help. How do we get this fluid out of her?

Do you have a question on Bypass Surgery or Edema?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Tarek Algamal

MASTER DEGREE MSC., NEPHROLOGY SPECIALIST., NEPHROLOGY SPECIALIST
Nephrology

Getting rid of these fluids is dependent on knowing the cause of its accumulation. She may need to increase the dose or change to intravenous diuretics (to be taken in the hospital). We should check also protein levels in the blood and liver and kidney functions. Follow up with cardiologist. Treating the cause is mandatory to prevent further attacks.

Also Read Answers From: Bypass Surgery Edema

There is mild cerebral edema, with facial fractures and post-nasal drip after accident. Please help.
Query: Hello doctor, A 23-year-old male patient hit with bike accident, fell on back side of head, CT scan reports reveals mild cerebral edema, with some facial fractures, currently patient is having blood clots discharge as post-nasal drip, and not associated with headache, dizziness, seizures, fainting,...  Read Full >>
Dr. Gerry Mike
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your concern. You might be worried of the cerebral edema if this will cause any harm. A repeat 48 hour CT scan if with any signs of wakefulness deterioration is warranted if that ever happens. The blood clots is a sequelae of the trauma to the face. Most ...  Read Full >>

Which one is better angioplasty or bypass surgery?
Query: Hello doctor,Last week, during night time, my relative developed chest pain and was feeling very uncomfortable. He was taken to a hospital and after tests and preliminary medications, he has been advised to do PTCA to RCA. His age is 51 years old. He has a diabetic history. The reports hav...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). He had heart attack. There are significant blockages. The medicine he is receiving is fine and should be continued until bypass surgery. Regarding, bypass or angioplasty. Immediately ...  Read Full >>

Was my father's death due to pulmonary edema or medical negligence?
Query: Dear doctor, My father died during angioplasty. The treating doctor said that the death is due to pulmonary edema. But we suspect it may be because of a medical negligence. I need a second opinion.  Read Full >>
Dr. Saumya Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. What happens in a heart attack is that the patient's heart is not functioning properly. It does not maintain the speed and pressure required. And therefore, the blood and the fluid collects in the body including the lungs. When the fluid collects in the lungs, a person ...  Read Full >>

Ask a Doctor Now