Q. What are the ways to reduce whole body swelling after bypass surgery?

Dr. Tarek Algamal
Published on Aug 03, 2019

I have an 80-year-old grandmother who went in for a triple heart bypass a year back. But she now suffers from swelling throughout her body. The diuretics will not help. How do we get this fluid out of her?

Dr. Tarek Algamal

Nephrology
#

Getting rid of these fluids is dependent on knowing the cause of its accumulation. She may need to increase the dose or change to intravenous diuretics (to be taken in the hospital). We should check also protein levels in the blood and liver and kidney functions. Follow up with cardiologist. Treating the cause is mandatory to prevent further attacks.

There is mild cerebral edema, with facial fractures and post-nasal drip after accident. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, A 23-year-old male patient hit with bike accident, fell on back side of head, CT scan reports reveals mild cerebral edema, with some facial fractures, currently patient is having blood clots discharge as post-nasal drip, and not associated with headache, dizziness, seizures, fainting,...  Read Full »

Which one is better angioplasty or bypass surgery?

Query: Hello doctor,Last week, during night time, my relative developed chest pain and was feeling very uncomfortable. He was taken to a hospital and after tests and preliminary medications, he has been advised to do PTCA to RCA. His age is 51 years old. He has a diabetic history. The reports hav...  Read Full »

Was my father's death due to pulmonary edema or medical negligence?

Query: Dear doctor, My father died during angioplasty. The treating doctor said that the death is due to pulmonary edema. But we suspect it may be because of a medical negligence. I need a second opinion.  Read Full »

Ask a Nephrologist Now