Q. I am COVID positive and my CRP level is high. What does it indicate?

Dr. Arun Gangadhar

I am a diabetic patient aged 54, and I am tested positive for COVID-19 with a CT score of 10. I got my D-dimer, and the CRP test is done. While my D-dimer is in the range of 0.01, my CRP level is quite high at 130.80. I have been recently taking all the medicines prescribed for COVID-19 treatment that include: tablet Azithromycin 500 mg once daily, tablet Doxycycline 100 mg twice daily, tablet Shelcal 500 mg once daily, tablet Dolo 650 mg for fever, tablet Zincovit twice daily, tablet Selina iB thrice daily, tablet Montair LC once in a day, capsule Pantop-D SR one tablet in the morning in empty stomach, tablet Fabiflu 400 mg two tablets twice a day. Can you please tell me what I should do and what more changes I have to bring in the dosage of medicines?

#

• You still have a fever that means either you are still infected with COVID-19, or you could be having a secondary bacterial infection. You do not have any shortness of breath, and SpO2 (oxygen saturation level) is in the range of 96-99 %, so you do not have a severe COVID-19 infection.
  • I want to do few more blood tests like CBC (complete blood count), serum procalcitonin, etc., to rule out any secondary bacterial infections. In that case, I would suggest you stop tablet Azithromycin, tablet Doxycycline and put you on broad-spectrum antibiotics.
  • You can continue other Vitamin supplements and tablet Favipiravir.

Thank you for answering. You would have seen that my CRP is very high at about 130. Should I be concerned about it? And what should I do to bring it back to normal? Also, can you suggest to me some broad-spectrum antibiotics?

#

Do not worry. High CRP (C-reactive protein) is often a sign of inflammation. So, we need to check the repetitive values to confirm whether the inflammation is settling.

We can also do CBC (complete blood count) and serum procalcitonin levels to check for bacterial infection, which can also cause high CRP.

I have also attached a prescription for the antibiotic, which includes an inhaler as well. For further instructions about using an inhaler, search online; there are various videos available that will help you understand its usage.

For prescription and better understanding, you can contact me over video consultation as well.

|