Q. What are the risks in pregnancy following two C-sections?

Dr. Anindya Das
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 14, 2020

A couple of days before I found out that I am pregnant. According to the first day of last menstrual period, I am about four and a half weeks pregnant. This is my fourth pregnancy. I had an ectopic pregnancy before four years. Then gave a birth after a year through emergency cesarean and delivered another baby through Cesarean after 15 months.  After my second baby, my doctor advised me not to get pregnant for a minimum of 18 months to 2 years. She said that my uterine wall was very thin. It has been almost 18 months since my last cesarean. I am in a confused state now whether to continue with the pregnancy or not. I spoke to my GP and she said it is all up to me, but there is a risk. What should I do now?

Dr. Anindya Das

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I think your GP has guided you correctly. Abortion can be associated with complications, some of which may be major.

Your gynecologist informed you about your weak uterine scar. So, continuation of pregnancy can be risky as well.

In my opinion you should consult your gynecologist who had done your cesarean section. Then, after understanding every advantage and disadvantage, you yourself take the decision.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

The problem is that there is no way of getting in touch with the gynecologist because it was done at a public hospital. The doctor who was on duty at that particular day performs the cesarean. I went to my GP again and she said it is a risk to continue the pregnancy. I would like to get an opinion from you. What are the risks to me and the baby in continuing the pregnancy?

Dr. Anindya Das

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

The main risk we fear in a pregnancy with the previous uterine scar is uterine rupture.

• The incidence of uterine rupture was more previously, but with improved cesarean techniques and improved infection prevention the incidence has come down.
  • Rupture of the uterus is a life threatening condition and requires emergency medical attention and surgery.
  • If rupture occurs, then the possibility of survival of the baby is very less.

Yes, you are right. With time the chance of rupture decreases, but does not vanish.

• In this type of pregnancy, chances of bleeding during pregnancy is another possible complication.
  • But, frankly speaking, we see more mothers with previous cesarean section continuing their pregnancy without complications than with complications. It is really difficult to comment on your case without physical examination.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|