Q. I have tightness and pain in both calves. How to get rid of this pain?

Dr. Prathish Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on May 22, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 02, 2020

For the past two weeks, I have been having calf tightness in both legs. I am 22 years old and I weigh around 230 pounds. Nothing I do seems to make it go away. Three weeks ago, I went to the hospital for chest pain and they did a D-dimer and it came back negative. I feel the tightness in my lower calf and upper back of the thigh. It is in both legs but I mainly feel it in the left. It is not unbearable more of an annoyance. I have tried Epsom salt baths, Ibuprofen, etc.

Dr. Prathish Kumar

#

I see you are suffering from calf tightness and pain for the past two weeks. One reason could be due to your overweight. Other, could be blood clot formation in the veins as you are at high risk for it. Or, it could be because of salt imbalance in your body if you are not taking adequate nutrition and water.

I would like to know, do you exercise regularly or go to the gym for weight reduction? Do you take any medicines as a part of weight-reduction plan? Are you in any regular medicines for any issues like high cholesterol, diabetes, or thyroid problems? What is your job? Do you stand for long hours in a day?

CBC (complete blood count). Free T4, TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone). RBS (random blood sugar). Serum lipid profile. Serum potassium. Both lower limb venous Doppler.

Tablet Aceclofenac and Tizanidine 1 tablet twice daily after food for five days. Electral powder one sachet mixed with 1 liter of water to be taken frequently.

Adequately hydrate yourself. Avoid long time standing.

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Childhood Obesity : An Ayurvedic Approach to its Management

Article Overview: Environmental factors, lifestyle preferences, and cultural environment play major roles in the increasing prevalence of childhood obesity worldwide. By following the guidelines on the basis of ayurvedic fundamentals, parents can effectively manage their child's obesity. Read Article

Dr. Omendra Pal Singh

A child is considered obese when his/her Body Mass Index (BMI), a measurement obtained by dividing a person's weight by the square of the person's height, exceeds 30 Kg/m2. In ayurveda, obesity has been elaborately described by using the term atisthaulya. Childhood obesity ...  Read Article

Will Aspirin affect D-dimer test?

Query: Hi doctor, My pain started behind knee, but now is causing recurrent chest pains and shortness of breath. I could not do much physical activity. There is no previous history of such event. I am currently on Aspirin. I had an EKG, lung x-ray and D-dimer blood test. Is it possible to have a pulmonary ...  Read Full »

How can I prevent tightening of calf muscles?

Query: Hello doctor, I feel like my calf muscles are gonna pull and I want to prevent it. It does not hurt, but I can feel the tightness. What should I do to stop this? I am scared.  Read Full »