Q. I get recurrent candidiasis with rashes on lip and tongue. Please suggest treatment.

Dr. Rabia

I am 31 years old. I had candidiasis last year and it got cured as well, and this came back this year again. It is more severe now, with a little patch on the lip and rash on the tongue. There is also redness on the penis head and pus coming out of it. I also have small blisters for the first time. I was recommended Fluconazole 150 and Miconazole ointment. Please advise if this the right treatment. I can share the pictures.

#

Yes, your treatment is correct. Azoles are the treatment for candida, and your pictures show candidal balanitis (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Take Fluconazole 150 mg and apply Miconazole cream. Maintain hygiene of the area. Wash it with Dove or Lux soap and water. After drying, apply the cream. Take an antihistamine tablet if you have itching.

For how many days should I continue tablets, and after what time I can expect some improvement in my condition. When I was trying to urinate, the pus coming out blocks it, and once it is done, a little bleeding happens. Is it something else it is obvious to happen?

Also, I would like to share it was a little itchy on the first day. And I did not take any medicine as I was already down with severe indigestion pain and was taking Mmeftal spas, Norflox-TZ and Peploc. Any possibility of this triggering this level of infection in a day.

Also, shall I advise my partner to take a Fluconazole 150 mg once to rule out any infection, as my wife and I are planning a family? Though she is not pregnant right now, any advice on how long we should wait before going forward to planning.

#

Continue for at least two weeks, and you will start expecting improvement around one week. The mucosa is severely infected. That is why it causes bleeding. Are you asking about medication triggering infection? It would help if you waited about family planning until your infection settles. Avoid intercourse until then. If your wife is not having symptoms of candida, no need to give medication to her.

Can I use Intimate cream to clean? Also, that glazed kind of thing is not coming off while cleaning.

#

Intimate cream wash contains lactic acid and tea tree oil that can be irritant to the infected skin. Please do not use it until the infection gets settled. The glazed area will slowly heal when the infection started to heal. Avoid rubbing or peeling off that area.

Also, to share, it did not bleed today while urinating. Can you suggest a drink or medicine for faster recovery?

#

Take plenty of water, and eat protein diet like eggs, fish, pulses, etc., so that your immunity gets better.

Do you recommend any mouthwash for the patch on the tongue?

#

Yes, do Benzirin gargles. Take one part of it and mix it with three parts of water and do gargles. Also, put Nystatin drops on both sides of the tongue. Keep it for 2 to 3 minutes and swallow.

My candida balanitis issue is much better now. It is almost resolved. But for the last two weeks, the recovery is slow with itching and unable to pull back my skin. Though I am applying the ointment (DK gel) twice a day post-cleaning penis properly, I am still having the problem. Please advise if I have to continue applying the same cream, and what about medication Fluconazole 150? Shall I continue having it?

#

Are you taking Fluconazole weekly or daily? Yes, continue applying the same ointment. Also, continue taking an antihistamine tablet, either Loratidine or Fexofenadine. You are doing good in maintaining hygiene. Is your oral cavity fine now?

I am taking Fluconazole on alternative days, and I can take Cetirizine. My lips and tongue are good now. Also, advise how many more days I should expect this infection to be totally cleared?

#

Continue Fluconazole on alternate days for another two weeks. Yes, you can take Cetrizine. Do not stop it abruptly. Otherwise, infection might relapse. I will switch it to a weekly dose and then stop it according to your clinical response to completely eliminate the infection. Take care of your diet (protein diet).

|