Q. I feel lazy, dumb and my brain is foggy. Is it due to side effects of smoking weed?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
Published on Nov 13, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 14, 2019

I have a huge problem. In highschool, I smoked weed a couple of times when I was in 16-18 years of age. But now I feel lazier, dumber, my brain is constantly foggy. I am less human and less connected to the world. It feels like I am playing a video game through my eyes. I think it has something to to with my neural receptors. I want my old life back, I was smart, loved the world and a quick thinker. Now I have a hard time remembering even large parts of my life. Please help.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

How long ago was the last time you smoked weed? Did you use any other street drugs? Sometimes using marijuana can cause depersonalization-derealization symptoms. You seem to experience something like that. It can happen to anyone. Smoking weed is one of the possible causes. Usually, these symptoms will fade away with time. Do not worry. If these symptoms are persistent and affecting your normal functioning, consult a psychiatrist in your city for evaluation. Psychotherapy like CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy), can be helpful. Sometimes, if there is any associated depression or anxiety, medication can be prescribed. Avoid smoking cannabis again. Keep yourself active, do exercise regularly and eat healthily.

Cannabis induced depersonalization.

I am suffering from derealization and depersonalization due to some drugs. Can I continue with drugs?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 18-year-old male. I recently believe in having been suffering, and possibly still do, derealization and depersonalization from drug usage (tetrahydrocannabinol, psilocybin or psilocin), and I am currently recovering. Would future usage of these drugs under a better mindset crea...  Read Full »