Q. I used Cannabis in my teenage. Am I at a risk of having cancer?

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Mittal and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Cannabis or Quitting Smoking? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

When I was in my late teens, I was engaged in a lot of high cancer risk activities. The one I have been most worried about was using Cannabis. The Cannabis itself does not worry me too much. Although, we occasionally had access to papers being teens and also not the smartest we inevitably utilized plastic bottles to create make shift bongs or waterfall pipes with aluminum foil bowls. I know that using a flame anywhere near plastic should be considered a cancer risk and I am sure the heated smoke coming into the container released some kind of BPA like chemical. At one time I even used a beer can, which even at 17 that seemed like a bad idea, but I was drunk and who cares about your long term health. Now I am 27 and just graduated. I am at that point where I know I am not invincible. So, have I all but guaranteed myself a cancer diagnosis down the line? I had this risk factor for around two to three years at which point I left to my college. Would this be on par with a couple of decades of smoking or much more worse? Any assistance or information would be greatly appreciated.