Q. What should I do if I am bitten by a stray cat?

Dr. Settipalli Saravan Pramod
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 16, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have just got bitten by a stray cat and accidentally it scratched. It is a very light scratch and a dot-like blood clot has occurred on my palm. I have already washed it and have applied Dettol on it. Is there any kind of risk? What should I do? Have I got any chances of infection?

#

• You should clean the wound no matter how small the skin has cuts. There can be many germs and bacteria in the mouths of animals. Cleaning will reduce the chance of infection.
  • If the wound is small, you can clean it yourself. Just use ordinary tap water. Let it bleed freely. If the wound is bleeding heavily, use a clean pad or preferably a sterile dressing to apply pressure until you get medical treatment.
  • I suggest you get an injection of tetanus by a doctor. A short course of antibiotics will be enough. You need not worry. I also suggest you take tablet Amoxyclav (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic Acid) 625 mg three times a day for five days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicines with their consent.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|