Q. What should I do if I am bitten by a stray cat?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli
Published on Nov 16, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have just got bitten by a stray cat and accidentally it scratched. It is a very light scratch and a dot-like blood clot has occurred on my palm. I have already washed it and have applied Dettol on it. Is there any kind of risk? What should I do? Have I got any chances of infection?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

#

• You should clean the wound no matter how small the skin has cuts. There can be many germs and bacteria in the mouths of animals. Cleaning will reduce the chance of infection.
  • If the wound is small, you can clean it yourself. Just use ordinary tap water. Let it bleed freely. If the wound is bleeding heavily, use a clean pad or preferably a sterile dressing to apply pressure until you get medical treatment.
  • I suggest you get an injection of tetanus by a doctor. A short course of antibiotics will be enough. You need not worry. I also suggest you take tablet Amoxyclav (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic Acid) 625 mg three times a day for five days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicines with their consent.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

Will scar revision work give me a virtually invisible scar?

Query: Hi doctor,I have been bitten by a dog three months ago. I have multiple scars but the worst one is above the upper lip. Unfortunately, I went to a dermatologist recommended by family and he insisted to apply Yag Laser at 55 days post-bite. I asked if it was not too soon but he said it was harmless a...  Read Full »

How common is it to develop a blood clot or PE with no underlying disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, How common is it to develop a blood clot or PE with no underlying clotting disorder, surgery, not on birth control, etc.? Like can a PE happen out of nowhere? Or is there always a culprit?  Read Full »

Snakebite - First Aid, Treatment, and Precautions

Article Overview: There are thousands of species of snakes and only a small percent of them are venomous. That is the sole reason why some people survive snake bites without taking antisera. Let us see what are the first aids and active management of a snake bite are. Read Article

Dr. Vishnu K R
Preventive Medicine Physician

Snakes are deadly when they are venomous. They produce venom and consciously inject into the target to kill or immobilize them. Poisonous animals on the other hand, are dangerous by all means, sometimes even by mere touch. So snakes are not that fatal after all, but ruling out the fatal factors are ...  Read Article