Q. Can a blood clot in the brain be removed by medicines alone?

Dr. Arun Tungaria
Published on Jul 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 13, 2019

My aunt, who is 54 years old, is diabetic since the past 10 years, and she is under regular Insulin. 10 days back, she suddenly lost speech, and since then, she is not able to speak even a single word. I am attaching her CT scan and MRI scan reports along with the prescription. What is the problem? How severe is the problem? What treatment options are there? Please advise in detail. Best regards.

Dr. Arun Tungaria

Neuro Surgery Neurology
#

I saw the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The problem is insufficient blood supply to the brain. It is a severe problem.
  • The prescribed medicines are alright. Please consult a neurosurgeon so that he can examine her. She will recover from current problem over next few weeks.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Thank you so much. Yes, we consulted a neurosurgeon locally, and he says there is a blood clot in the brain. Can this clot get removed by medicines alone? When will the doctor decide to do an operation to remove the blood clot? Based on what factors, an operation would be decided to be done? How long can she be continued on medicines? What if there is no speech even after a month of medicines? What course of action or treatment would be required at that time? I am very anxious about my aunt's health, so please help. Thanks in advance.

Dr. Arun Tungaria

Neuro Surgery Neurology
#

• The clot is within the small arteries of the brain, so no surgery or any intervention can remove it. Forget about surgery, it not an option. Some medicines will be forever. She will recover over next few months and physiotherapy, particularly, speech therapy would be required in next few days.

For further queries consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Could you please explain MRI brain and CSF studies related to NPH?

Query: Hello doctor,Can you please give the diagnosis of the uploaded MRI brain and CSF studies with a detailed report? Please advise on the action plan as to how to get the CSF findings treated. The MRI report is enclosed. Does the enclosed report co-relate with your findings? The MRI report CSF studies r...  Read Full »

Is there any abnormality in my ECG reports?

Query: Hello doctor, Can you read my ECG and tell me why it says abnormal?  Read Full »

There is a white mass above my teeth in MRI. What is it?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a brain MRI nine months ago. The report came back completely normal. I decided to look at the images last night and I noticed this bright white mass above my teeth. Either the mass is near my teeth or in my sinuses. I am worried that I have a tumor growing and it was looked over...  Read Full »