Q. Is it necessary to quit using meth if I found out I was pregnant?

Dr. Uzma Arqam

I have secondary dysmenorrhea and have miscarried twice before finding out this time I was pregnant. I have been using meth now. I feel bad and think I am a horrible person. I want to wean off the drug, but part of me is wondering if I quit both times I found out, this time I still use but have cut my using in half, could that drug make me feel like the worst parent to walk the earth? Is it keeping my body from self-aborting?

#

All these drugs such as cocaine, alcohol, methamphetamine have their psychosocial side effect as well as harmful long-term effects on the body. They are just temporary anxiety relieving drugs, not only directly affect brain, bones, reproductive system, mental and physical health by accumulating in the body on long-term use, but also have withdrawal effects and pass via the mother's tissues to the baby and causes harmful effects on developing baby and even can cause long-term effects in the future.

As you said, you already had previous two miscarriages and now in third-time pregnancy. You are still using meth, but have reduced its amount to half but still feeling anxious and stressed.

Mostly, the baby gets affected at and starting 8 to 10 weeks of pregnancy. Organogenesis takes place in the early few weeks. So, the maximum effect is in these days.

Before having an idea or planning for a baby, try to quit these harmful drugs including alcohol, cocaine, meth, tobbaco smoking, ketamine.etc. Before starting pregnancy, you should start Folic acid 0.4 mg if no other chronic illness and 5 mg if having chronic disease.

In addition to quitting all the harmful drugs and habits, try to have an antenatal appointment as soon as possible, start Folic acid now and try to quit harmful drugs and habits.

But sorry to say, baby could have side effects of meth if still you are using. Social welfare groups, counseling, and recreational activities would be helpful.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|