Q. Can cervical disc bulge lead to arm numbness?

Dr. Piyush Jakal
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 10, 2020

My right arm is numb from the elbow to the wrist and sometime I feel like getting electric shock inside. About 29 years ago, I got my C4/C5 lower disc removed. I have neck and back pain too and for which I am taking Lyrica now. I had an MRI and the report is as follows. Tight cervical spinal canal at C5/C6 disc level and posterior disc herniation seen indenting the ventral aspect of the cord. In C3/C4, C4/C5 and C6/C7 mild diffuse posterior disc bulges seen. Please guide me.

Dr. Piyush Jakal

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Surgery
#

• I request you to kindly attach MRI images.
  • Most likely it appears from your symptoms that you will need surgical decompression but nothing can be conclusively said without MRI images.
  • Please mention your diabetic and cardiac profile too.

Degenerative changes.

Surgical decompression.

Avoid lifting weight and use cervical collar.

Revert back with MRI report to a spine surgeon online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/spine-surgeon

| 

I have attached the MRI photos and blood work. Thanks.

Dr. Piyush Jakal

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com. Thank you for providing images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Your MRI shows that the disc which had prolapsed is causing compression on your nerve roots. No need to worry. We have few modalities of treatment at our disposal.
  • First, I would like to know few things from you. Do you have any weakness or loss of power in your arm?
  • Did you feel any difficulty in holding a pen or a spoon? Have you undergone any conservative treatment?
  • Conservative treatment includes cervical traction, physiotherapy, short wave diathermy, cervical collar, analgesics and muscle relaxants.
  • I would like to give you a course of 2 weeks of conservative treatment and observe your response. Even if there is 10% relief, I will continue with the same treatment.
  • I have many patients who had similar complaints and have improved with conservative treatment.
  • Your blood reports are within normal limits so even if you need surgery you can proceed.
  • Surgical procedure involves removing disc and it has excellent prognosis. Recent trends are towards keyhole surgery with minimal incision.

Revert back with the answers for the above questions to a spine surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/spine-surgeon

| 

Why is there numbness in the hands after so many years of accident?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother met with an accident 20 years ago. Now, he has some numbness in his hands. We have attached the reports of the scan had recently. Kindly suggest treatment.  Read Full »

When can physiotherapy be started after bilateral hip replacement surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I had bilateral hip replacement surgery done recently. The right hip was replaced last month, and the left hip was replaced this month. Is it advisable to do physiotherapy now?  Read Full »

How can I be relieved of this sharp lower back pain?

Query: Hello doctor, Last night, I bent over to reach for something and got a sharp pain in the left side of my lower back and the pain is still there. I can hardly move without intense pain. Is there anything that I can do to feel better? I do lift a lot of heavy boxes at work. What should I do? I can ben...  Read Full »

Ask a Spine Surgeon Now