Q. What are the dos and don'ts in cervical incompetence?

Dr. Sweta Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 19, 2019

I am 110 days pregnant. When we took scan in the 13th week, the report showed that the uterus is open. They said it as cervical incompetence and immediately advised operation for cervical suturing treatment. I need a second opinion regarding this. Thank you.

#

• If the ultrasound shows your cervix is open, then you need to follow the doctor's advice and get the stitching done. Otherwise, there is a very high chance of losing the pregnancy.
  • It is a minor short procedure done under anesthesia and you will need to be admitted for one or two days. But, after that you will be fine.
  • As the pregnancy progresses, the cervix will open more and shorten in length. Then, it will be difficult or not easily possible to stitch. So, get it done as soon as possible.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I have got the stitches done. I want to know the dos and don'ts that I should follow.

#

• As per the doctor's advice be on bed rest.
  • Avoid doing any household work, straining of any kind, lifting heavy objects. Also, stay away from sex and stress.
  • Avoid papaya, pineapple and anything from outside.
  • If you have constipation, then take Isabgol in warm milk at night.

|