Q. How to reduce my chest pain that involves upper back, left shoulder and hand?

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 01, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 04, 2018

I am 34 years old male. I am married. My weight is 85 kilograms, and the height is 5 feet. My resting BP is 130/80 mmHg, and pulse is 80 beats per minute. I do not have any tension at my home or the office, and I am very relaxed. I am suffering from left side chest pain along with upper back pain (left side only) with left shoulder and sometimes with left-hand pain. When I bend my head forwards, I feel tightness and pain in the upper body and left shoulder backside.

I have light-headedness, fatigue, and feel drowsy all over the day while sitting or standing. I have the pain on the left side for about three years. I underwent almost all tests, and all are normal. But the pain persists. I underwent heart tests including CT angiography and MRI brain. All are normal. I am attaching my X-ray of cervical spine and ECG which I underwent two days back. Kindly suggest how to reduce my pain.

#

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your ECG is fine, and from the description of pain and test you underwent, it is a cervical pain. In the cervical X-ray, there is a straightening of the spine which is the cause for your pain. You should undergo further test like MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of the cervical spine for the confirmation of diagnosis and the extent of disease. Also, vitamin D test should be done.

You need neck physiotherapy, including traction and cervical belt which is better starting after MRI. Also, you should use local Diclofenac gel for the pain relief. Hot water fomentation can be done. Also, you need to take tablet Pregaba M 75 mg (Pregabalin with Mecobalamin) at bedtime, which is a nerve stabilizer and they help in symptoms control. Also, take tablet Flexon MR (Chlorzoxazone with Ibuprofen and Paracetamol) whenever needed up to two times a day for the pain relief. You should visit an Orthopedician to get relieved.

|