Q. What is cervical rib?

Dr. Shakti A. Goel
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 12, 2020

My daughter is 6 years old. She always complains that she feels some pain in the back side of her neck. We have checked with an orthopedician. From her x-ray, he said that this is due to cervical rib, an extra bone in the neck. Please suggest regarding this.

#

• Cervical rib is an extra rib above the first rib. Nothing needs to be done as of now and she needs to be reassured.
  • If the rib causes serious problems like arterial compression or nerve pressure in the future, then it can be removed by surgical methods.
  • As of now, I would recommend just reassurance and some analgesics. Please wait and watch. Thank you.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|