Q. Why am I getting pain in the back while breathing?

Dr. Shinas Hussain A P

I am getting a pain, which starts on the right lower back. It hurts when I breathe and also when I stand, sit and sleep. I know that is not kidney stones. But, I do not know what it is. I am a 45 year old female. My weight is 190. I am not on any regular medication.

#

I have gone through your query, and I can understand your concerns.

• Pain over the back while breathing need to be evaluated thoroughly. In most of the cases, it is caused some minor condition like sprained rib or some contusion of rib caused by minor trauma or fall.
  • Also, we have to rule out some other heart and lung conditions like pericarditis and pleural effusion. I suggest you consult a general physician and do the following.
  1. A chest x-ray to look for rib fracture and pleural effusion. Also, an ECG may be needed.
  2. Basic blood and urine test.
  • A short course of antibiotics may be needed. Other investigations may be necessary depending upon the initial evaluation like echo test to rule out pericarditis. As of now, you can take analgesics like Acetaminophen or ibuprofen for pain.

Minor trauma or lung infection.

X-ray chest, ECG and echo test.

1. Pericarditis.
2. Rib fracture.

Sprained rib.

For further information consult a family physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

| 

Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?

Query: Hi doctor, I have cough for about a week. It is a mild one with a bit sore throat. So, I did my sputum test in a laboratory and the following are the results I received today. Acid fast bacilli smear - acid fast bacilli not detected. In sputum culture and sensitivity, culture - negative, organism - ...  Read Full »

Please help me get rid of pain due to ankle sprain.

Query: Hi doctor,I have chronic ankle sprains in both the ankles. I have this for maybe a year now. I went to PT and have been doing exercises. But, about a week ago, my ankle began to pop. It is happening once in a while. It really hurts and I have to pause for a couple minutes for the pain to settle. Is ...  Read Full »

I have sharp pain in my ribs when I am breathing. How can I get relieved?

Query: Hi doctor, While working out today, I was doing a shoulder press. I was doing it too fast, and at one point, I got a sharp pain in my back, near where my ribs meet my spine. Since then, I am also having very sharp pain when inhaling and exhaling, as well as when rotating my torso or neck. Should I ...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Family Physician Now