Q. I have intense pain between my neck and shoulder for a year. Is fibromyalgia the cause?

Dr. Pratap Vgm

I'm a 21 year old female. I have have very intense pain right between my neck and shoulder for a year now. It feels like a "pulling" sensation. It hurts to sit without a back on a chair, lifting the laundry basket hurts and so does sitting down to do any type of activity(folding clothes, driving) I have had an MRI done and it came back clean. The doctor also took blood and all came back ok. I have done physical therapy and steroid packs. The steroid packs did wonders but always wore off quickly. My shoulder/neck is the only thing that is bothering me. I starting to feel unlike myself and not wanting to do the the things I used to love because I know that soon after I'll be hurting. I take Ibprofin up to 4 times a day due to the overwhelming pain. I haven't received a diagnosis. My doctor thought maybe something was wrong with my rotator cuff but then thought rheumatoid arthritis but when everything came back clean he suggested fibromiagia. I think he suggested this out if frustration as my neck:shoulder is literally the only thing that bothers me, other than that I am perfectly fine. I am looking for a second opinion in guess. Maybe he is right with the fibro thing but it just doesn't feel right to me.

Dr. Pratap Vgm

Diabetology
# Dear madam

Welcome to icliniq

As appears from the query you are suffering from chronic neck and shoulder pain which aggravates on physical activity.

You are taking analgesics to the maximum dosages but still pain not relieved. MRI scan is normal..
These are the stricking points that I got from your history.

Let me discuss about these points in detail
The common causes for neck and shoulder pain in are
1. Degenerative disc disease
2. Spinal canal narrowing
3. Cervical spondylosis
4. Cervical spinal canal stenosis
5. Pressure on cervical spinal nerves
6. Thyroid related problems
7. Calcium deficiency

Most of the spine related conditions should reveal in MRI scan.. but as per the history MRI scan is normal.
The possibility might be related to thyroid or calicum deficiency.
Recommended investigations
1. Complete thyroid profile including assessing parathyroid harmonal levels
2. Serum calcium levels
3. Muscle spasms
4. Overweight

Please evaluate for the following cause once..

Since you have aggravation of symptoms because of physical activity let me advice some points regarding how to relieve it
1. Avoid lifting heavy weight and strenous activity
2. Physcial therapy is advised two to three times a week for twenty minutes.
3. Interferential muscle stimulation atleast two to three times a week.
4. Simple muscle relaxants which is available as cream and oral tablets will help rather than pain relieving drugs
5. Using soft pillows will relieve the symptoms
6. Calcium supplementation.

If you have any other doubts please feel free to ask

Thank you

|