Q. My neck pain has spread to shoulder and nerve pain is uncontrollable while sleeping and walking. Why?

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 27, 2021 and last reviewed on: May 08, 2021

Hi doctor.

I am a 33-year-old male. My weight is 72 kg, and my height is 5 feet 7 inches. For the last four weeks, I am suffering from severe neck pain that has spread to the shoulder. So two weeks before, I visited a doctor. He said that muscles got stiff and has prescribed tablets and advised physiotherapy. Even after that, there is no difference. So when I took an X-ray, he said there is a mild gap in the bone and said that I am suffering from cervical spondylosis. The medications that he gave are Ultracet, Renerve, and Pregabalin (Pfizer company) 75 mg.

Now the problem is, stiffness has gone, but the nerve pain is uncontrollable while sleeping and walking, and I feel that these tablets are not showing any difference. So now he is asking me to get an MRI of the spine. Even after using such powerful medications, why is there no difference? Is there anything serious about this?

#

Do you spend a lot of time over the phone or on the laptop? Do you have poor sleeping posture? Have you ever had pain like this before? Does the pain radiate to the arms? Is there any weakness or numbness in the hands? If none, then there is no immediate need for an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), but you need to continue with the medications given by your doctor:

1. Ultracet (Paracetamol and Tramadol), as need be.
  2. Pregabalin 75 mg, twice daily for 10 days.
  3. Piroxicam 20 mg, twice daily for 10 days.
  4. Tolperisone 450 mg, once a day for 5 days.

Be mindful of your posture and be aware of positions that increase your neck stiffness. Do ROM (range of motion) exercises and apply ice to the stiff areas during the day and hot packs during the night. Please consult your doctor to get yourself a pain-relieving spray, such as Dynapar Qps spray (Diclofenac).

|