Q. How soon can we start trying for a baby after a cesarean?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

I am 33 years old. I delivered a baby girl through cesarean around four months back, but unfortunately, she survived just for a day. Now we want to have a baby as soon as possible. How soon can we start trying for a baby? Please advise.

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

General Practitioner Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

As you delivered the baby by caesarean, the wound takes some more time to heal. If you become pregnant before two years, then there is a chance of weak scar due to early stretching over the scar.

Ideally, you should wait for three years. But you can start trying for pregnancy after a year.

It is not advisable to conceive before one a year as it has its risk to pregnancy as well as baby due to weak scar. So it is better to plan after a year. Till then wait and build your health.

I wanted a few information so as to give you the most relevant opinion and suggestions.

1. What is the reason for caesarian and at what month was it performed and why?
  2. Were there any complications during or after caesarian?
  3. What were the reasons for the baby not surviving? What was the baby's weight at birth?
  4. What is your hemoglobin level at present?

I suggest you start taking Folic acid 5 mg once daily, two to three months before planning for next the pregnancy. This is recommended by WHO.

The Folic acid will help in decreasing some problems in the baby.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

I had a full term pregnancy, and cesarean delivery was done as I did not get any labor pain till my given due date. The baby's weight was 2.5 kg and was completely healthy at birth. The reasons for the baby's death were not clear. As per the doctor, either the milk choked the baby or injuries on the neck were the causes of baby's death. The baby was also vaccinated (DPT, hepatitis B and polio drop) that day after which she was not attended by the doctors. Maybe the vaccine given to her did not suit her, or there were some problems with the vaccine itself. The reason cited by the doctors on her death certificate was asphyxia. I had no complications throughout my pregnancy. However, I did develop gallstones during my pregnancy which subsequently got dissolved within a month after I took homoeopathic treatment. I suppose my hemoglobin levels are fine as I do not face any weakness or any such signs of low hemoglobin levels. I wish to start trying for the baby as soon as I complete five months. Due to the age factor, I want to plan next baby early. Kindly advise.

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

#

I suggest you at least start taking oral Folic acid. The best advice is to plan lately.

• If you are eager and want to plan early, then have a close watch on the next pregnancy. Try to wait for at least three more months and then start in by the fourth month.
  • It is a high-risk pregnancy. So, do your hemoglobin test and if required take treatment for that.
  • If your health is not good, then it can affect the baby. You will have to undergo an elective cesarean this time during the near term according to baby's weight and uterine scar thickness.

|