Q. What is the recommended dose of Folic acid while planning for pregnancy?

Dr. Rajyaguru
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 28, 2018

I am an epileptic patient and currently on Lamictal 200 mg twice a day. I am planning for pregnancy. I would like to know the dosage of Folic acid I should start.

#

I suggest you tablet Folvite 5 mg of Folic acid one tablet per day. The recommended dose of folic acid is a controversial topic. Various doctors favor 1 mg to 5 mg per day. The best part is that the Folic acid has no side effects. It is a water-soluble vitamin and an excess of it gets excreted in urine. So, we recommend 5 mg per day to all our patients. When sufficient dose is harmless, there is no need to take a chance by giving low doses.

One more concern of mine is that you have to check with your neurologist if it is safe to go ahead with pregnancy while on Lamictal (Lamotrigine). The safety of Lamictal is not established by studies. But, if your physician has good experience with personal case series, then I think you can continue.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|