Q. There is a lump like structure in the eye associated with pain. What is it?

Answered by
Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Dec 10, 2018

Hi doctor,

I am attaching a picture of my wife's left eye. I believe there is a stye or something else inside the left side of the eye. It has been around 8 to 10 days now. Earlier there was a pain in the eyes for the first 2 to 3 days. Later on, the pain was not there but I saw a lump or stye like structure in her left eye. I can also see a small lump from outside which appears like it is filled from inside. This is probably the first time happened with here. Also is it fatal? Kindly suggest what it is and the medications.

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have gone through your wife's problems and seen the photo attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This condition is called a chalazion, it is a sequel of style and it happens when long-standing infection is set up in the eyelid glands. They are usually treated surgically unless resolving with a course of antibiotics. So my advice is that you please do the following. Avoid eye rubbing. Hot fomentation to the affected eye and massage the lid after giving heat. Tobramycin eye ointment two times a day for a week in the affected eye. It is necessary to meet an ophthalmologist in the following scenarios. If eyes become red, start having sticky discharge from eyes, vision becomes blurred, not responding to treatment even after a week.

Thank you doctor,

I hope it is not fatal. Also is the surgery necessary if the antibiotics do not work? And precautionary measures, please?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

This is a very localized infection and in no way is life-threatening. The surgical procedure to be performed is a minor procedure which can be done as a day care procedure outside the operation theatre and does not require any hospitalization, etc. Yes, surgery will be necessary only when the antibiotics do not work. Precaution is do not rub the eyes.

Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

Why am I not able to urinate from today evening even after drinking lots of water?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old woman, who weighs about 50 kg, and I am 5.6 feet tall. I did not urinate today from 4 PM, even after drinking plenty of water. My stomach is also paining. Can you please give me some tips for this?  Read Full »

What treatment will help recurrent stye?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18 year old female. I am getting a stye in the corner of my left eye, right under the lower eyelid. It is recurrent for the past six months and itchy sometimes. What would you recommend to get rid of it?   Read Full »

I have a swelling in the lower part of the eye. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a swollen lymph from three weeks on the eye lining on the lower region. I went to the eye specialist. He gave me Zenoxim 500 for a week two tablets per day and Ocupol ointment to apply for three weeks. He said it is an infection and if it does not go in three weeks then he need...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Eye Care Ophthalmologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.