Q. What is the treatment for chalazion?

Dr. Asif Manzoor
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have chalazion in my right eye for the past eight months. What should I do? Please tell me.

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• There are different options to treat chalazion that depends on the location of chalazion and is there single or multiple.
  • If the patient has skin problems like acne, then they get multiple and recurrent chalazion.
  • The first general measures are lid hygiene and warm compresses. They help in pressing out the secretion. Actually, chalazion is an accumulation of meibomian gland secretion and inflammation.
  • For small chalazion, especially on the medial side steroid injection could be given. Sometimes, a second injection may be needed.
  • Another option is surgical incision and evacuation of contents. Then, antibiotic ointment, oral antibiotic and anti-inflammatory drugs will be given for about three to five days.
  • Please remember that the chalazion is recurrent and usually develop multiple times. If you have acne problem, then get treatment for that also.

For further doubts consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|