Q. What is the treatment for chalazion?

Dr. Asif Manzoor
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have chalazion in my right eye for the past eight months. What should I do? Please tell me.

#

• There are different options to treat chalazion that depends on the location of chalazion and is there single or multiple.
  • If the patient has skin problems like acne, then they get multiple and recurrent chalazion.
  • The first general measures are lid hygiene and warm compresses. They help in pressing out the secretion. Actually, chalazion is an accumulation of meibomian gland secretion and inflammation.
  • For small chalazion, especially on the medial side steroid injection could be given. Sometimes, a second injection may be needed.
  • Another option is surgical incision and evacuation of contents. Then, antibiotic ointment, oral antibiotic and anti-inflammatory drugs will be given for about three to five days.
  • Please remember that the chalazion is recurrent and usually develop multiple times. If you have acne problem, then get treatment for that also.

For further doubts consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

Is getting steroid injection before ablation for neck pain better?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had right-sided chronic cervical neck pain for the past six months. My MRI revealed the following. Bulging discs, C6-C7 and C5-C6 osteophytes and severe bilateral stenosis and typical degenerative disc disease. I visited a pain doctor hoping for a cervical steroid procedure, but in...  Read Full »

After Lasik, I have eye itching with small wounds on my eyelid. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I had Lasik in the beginning of last year. I have a dandruff issue with my hair. After a few months of surgery, occasionally I had eye itching. When I visited my doctor, he said that it is due to dandruff and asked to clean eyelid with baby shampoo. After cleaning, I used to feel relieved...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»