Q. I have a small red rash on the bottom of the penile shaft. Could this be herpes or ingrown hair?

I have a small red rash at the bottom of my penile shaft. I am unsure whether it looks like herpes or maybe ingrown hair. I had unprotected sex two weeks ago and also shaved the area two weeks ago.

#

I read your query and seen the attached images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The possibility of chancroid or herpes, causing the lesion that hurts or causes pain on touch. Although the image quality is not that clear to see the fluid in the lesion. If there was a fluid-filled lesion or tingling sensation, the possibility of herpes causing these lesions is more probable.

The chances of ingrown hair causing these lesions are very low, and it is important to get tested for STD as soon as possible.

There is no fluid in the lesion, and it was dry. But when I pricked it, it look more like an open lesion. And there is a very little pain when I touch the lesion.

#

With additional details, the most likely cause for the lesion is chancroid or bacterial infection.

Fortunately, there are multiple treatment options available for the treatment of chancroid, and there is no worry about it. Although to avoid further complications, I feel it is important to get tested and treated without delay.

|