Q. I have a small red rash on the bottom of the penile shaft. Could this be herpes or ingrown hair?

I have a small red rash at the bottom of my penile shaft. I am unsure whether it looks like herpes or maybe ingrown hair. I had unprotected sex two weeks ago and also shaved the area two weeks ago.

#

I read your query and seen the attached images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The possibility of chancroid or herpes, causing the lesion that hurts or causes pain on touch. Although the image quality is not that clear to see the fluid in the lesion. If there was a fluid-filled lesion or tingling sensation, the possibility of herpes causing these lesions is more probable.

The chances of ingrown hair causing these lesions are very low, and it is important to get tested for STD as soon as possible.

There is no fluid in the lesion, and it was dry. But when I pricked it, it look more like an open lesion. And there is a very little pain when I touch the lesion.

#

With additional details, the most likely cause for the lesion is chancroid or bacterial infection.

Fortunately, there are multiple treatment options available for the treatment of chancroid, and there is no worry about it. Although to avoid further complications, I feel it is important to get tested and treated without delay.

| 

How do I confirm that I have got a viral or bacterial infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an IV treatment for fever.  I took four doses of Monocef 1 gm. My fever is gone, and I am feeling better. I still have a sore throat, and there is a lot of mucus generated. The mucus is transparent. How do I confirm that I have got a viral or bacterial infection? Since my fe...  Read Full »

What does a genital wart look like?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a protected sex with escort 15 days ago. We did not kiss or do anything without a condom. Today, I noticed a bump next to my scrotum that looks like a wart. I cannot remember whether it was there before. I just noticed it today and it seems to burn. It terrifies me that it may be a ...  Read Full »

Why am I having pain in the tip of my penis?

Query: Hi doctor, I went for a trip. There I had naked body to body massage along with blow job using condom and even touched the private parts. But, we did not involve in intercourse. Later, I kissed and had intercourse using condom, but with a different girl. Yesterday, my doctor forcefully pushed my pe...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Sexologist Now