Q. Why does my chapped lips not healed on using moisturizer?

Dr. Snehal Laul

For the past two months, I had severely chapped lips from the cold weather. I tried O’Keefe's, Blistex, La Roche-Posay cicaplast lips, Vaseline, coconut oil and plain slices of cucumber, all of which resulted in burning itchy lips. I then decided to stop using anything at all for the last month and although the chapped lips have gone. The itching has started again and I really do not know what to do. I have atopic dermatitis and I am nervous about putting anything on my lips again in case it flares up and I have to wait another month for it to heal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dr. Snehal Laul

Dermatology Venereology
#

This condition is called cheilitis. It is due to vitamin B deficiency, low level of iron and zinc. Also, environmental exposure, licking your lips, eating spicy foods, cold, dry weather may lead to chapped lips.

Vitamin B deficiency.
Low iron and zinc levels.
Cold dry weather. Lip licking habits. Allergy to saliva, spicy foods. Environmental exposure.

Hemoglobin iron levels.

Lip lick dermatitis. Angioedema. Angular cheilitis.

Cheilitis.

Apply good quality lip balm with sunscreen.
Moisturize the lips. Proper lip hygiene. Becosule capsule for 10 days. Drink lots of water. Exfoliate dead skin of lips with warm water and moisturize your lips.

Do not lip lick.

After 10 days.

| 

What could be the cause of a red rash above the lip line?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a red rash slightly above my lip line. It is dry and sometimes a little itchy. I did not use to have it, but it started around the time my partner got on acne medication and it does not go away, with the exception of when I traveled abroad for vacation. For some reason, it went ...  Read Full »

What can be done for burning due to cuts inside lips and tongue?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old, male and I have small cuts in the inside of my lips and my tongue. They burn when I drink or eat. They look like cuts.  Read Full »