Q. What causes chest discomfort in a patient with anxiety disorder?

I am a 36-year-old woman with family history of heart disease. For a couple of days, I have been feeling discomfort in my chest, like my heart gets squeezed and I have chest discomfort on the left top part of my chest, like six fingers down my clavicle. I also have a lot of fatigue, specially from 10 AM to 1 PM. The discomfort gets worse when I am laying on my back and I can feel my heart moving in my chest in an unusual way and the squeezing feeling coming and going. I have had anxiety disorder for almost 20 years but this does not feel like my usual anxiety. I am worried and not knowing exactly what to do.

#

Classical cardiac chest pain is a sensation as if an elephant is sitting on your chest. It lasts from a few seconds to minutes and could be provoked by exertion. What you are feeling is classified as atypical chest pain but you also have palpitations. Do you have a way to check your blood pressure and heart rate? Please let me know.

| 

No. I have no device at home to test my blood pressure and heart rate.

#

It is a good idea for you to walk into an urgent care and let them check your vitals and get an EKG. Meanwhile, take an Aspirin 81 mg/d. The issue with atypical chest pain is that you cannot rule out 100 % that there is no underlying cardiac pathology until you get EKG and basic blood work.

| 

Kindly advise if my dad should go for bypass surgery.

Query: Hi doctor, The patient is a 62 year old male. He complained of pain in the chest and became unconscious following sweating. We have been advised to do bypass surgery to cure the disease. My father has never had any heart issue so far and now it is a shock to us. Last year too, he had some chest pai...  Read Full »

Can anxiety cause foot drop and twitches in the body?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 26 year old female, and I developed foot drop five weeks ago, the foot was numb, and I could not dorsiflex it. But, now I can dorsiflex, and the steppage gait has disappeared unless I walk long distances. I have more power in the foot now, but it is still a lot weaker than the oth...  Read Full »

Can Anxiety And Stress Cause Frequent Urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just sligh...  Read Full »