Q. I am suffering from chest pain and I heard a sloshing in my chest. Why?

Dr. Philip Shenouda
Published on Jun 24, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 25, 2019

I am an 18-year-old female, taking no medications, and I am 5'3" in height and 180 lbs weight. Since last night, I am having severe chest pains. I cannot sleep, and when I try to eat, my chest hurts more. It hurts all the time, but the severity comes and goes in spurts. I am not sure if this has anything to do with the chest pain, but just today, I was lying on my right side and moved to my left side, and I heard and felt a sloshing in my chest or upper abdomen area. What could it be?

Dr. Philip Shenouda

Internal Medicine
#

Thanks for providing clear and consistent history about your current medical condition. I can reflect on what you mentioned that it is related to Excedrin as it can cause gastric upset by increasing the secretion of HCl (hydrochloric acid) in the stomach. I suggest that you stop taking Excedrin for the coming period (at least a month), take some dietary precautions including avoiding caffeine, spicy food, dark chocolate, mint, fizzy drinks mainly cola containing ones, deeply fired, chili and spicy food.

Avoid NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) like Voltaren tablets and even injection and aspirin as well. Take the medication mentioned in the treatment part. In case, the condition continues, you need to visit your doctor (general physician or GIT specialist) for further evaluation.

Gastritis, Peptic ulcer, and GERD(gastroesophageal reflux disease).

Zantac (Ranitidine) 150 mg tablet one tablet two times a day for seven to ten days.

| 

Kindly comment on my nausea, dizziness and headache.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25 year old married female. My weight is 66 kg and height is 161 cm. I am suffering from nausea, dizziness and light headache mainly around the eyes for nearly three weeks. I am a dentist. For the last one month, I am preparing for other exams. As I have a son of 2.5 years old, I u...  Read Full »

Would fundoplication help gastritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been struggling with pressure under my ribs and tightness in my chest for 5 years. It is on and off, but mostly it gives me a hard time to come through. I feel hard to belch often. I have taken Esomeprazole and Nexium to keep the reflux down, but the tightness and other awful ...  Read Full »

Chest pain since 15 days. ECG & TMT reports are normal. What could be the problem?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am having chest pain since 15 days. My ECG & TMT reports are negative. But still I am suffering with the pain. Please suggest me the appropriate treatment.  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now