Q. I have been feeling pain in my chest. I am a regular smoker. Please advice.

Answered by
Dr. Anoop Mathew
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 12, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 05, 2019

Hello doctor,

I am 25 year old male, my height is 5'10" and I weigh 73 kg. For the last two days, I have been feeling pain in my chest (left side). Since then, I have been feeling tired and sleepy all day and unable to concentrate on my work. Pain is not so frequent, but when I take a deep breath, I feel pain. Also, I have the problem of morning cough. I have a history of regular constipation. I also have a history of increased cholesterol level in my body, which is fine now. I am a regular smoker (6 to 7 cigarettes a day) and a social drinker. Please advice.

Dr. Anoop Mathew



Welcome to icliniq.com.

It looks like you have pleuritic pain. This refers to pain due to inflammation of the covering of your lungs. You will need a course of antibiotics. The reason why you are getting such chest infections is your smoking. So, I actively encourage you to quit smoking. There are courses of medications available to assist you to quit smoking.

Take lots of fiber-rich food to get rid of constipation. You can buy an over the counter laxative to overcome constipation if required. If the chest pain persists after the course of antibiotics, you would need an ECG and chest x-ray.

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you for the reply doctor,

Can you suggest me some antibiotics for the same? I will definitely quit smoking. Looking forward to your advice. Thank you.

Dr. Anoop Mathew



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  1. Take tablet Roxid (Roxithromycin) 150 mg twice daily for 5 days. If Roxid is not available, you can use tablet Levoflox (Levofloxacin) 500 mg once daily for 5 days.
  2. Take tablet Mucolite (Ambroxol), one tablet twice daily for 5 days.
  3. Have syrup Piriton (Chlorpheniramine) 5 ml, three times daily. If Piriton is not available, you can have syrup Ascoril or Benadryl instead.
  4. If you have severe pain, you can take tablet Paracetamol 500mg as required, up to 2 tablets per day.

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking medicines after their consent.

Was this answer helpful?


Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

What is the treatment for chronic sinus infection due to weather?

Query: Hello doctor, I have chronic sinus infection because of it I will face problem whole winter. What treatment should I take to get relief from cold in these winter months? Shall I make a choice for vaccination?  Read Full »

I have acidity and constipation after quitting smoking. Are these withdrawal symptoms?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 year old male and had been smoking for the last 10 years. I smoke four to five cigarettes a day. I stopped it completely for the last 36 days. Now, I am suffering with severe acidity and constipation. I am taking Sompraz 40 in the morning for the last 10 days, but no great impr...  Read Full »

How is COPD treated?

Query: Hi doctor, My father has SpO2 level with oxygen is more than 95 and without oxygen is 75-80. He also has COPD. But, all tests are normal like CT scan, USG and x-ray. Please explain.  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a General Practitioner Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.