Q. I have mild and irritating left-sided chest pain. What is the cause?

Answered by
Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Jun 13, 2017

Hi doctor,

I am having pain on the left side of my chest from the last 2 to 3 days. I am not sure, but it seems a muscular pain because whenever I am moving my neck in a particular way or when I press my collar bone, the pain is more. I have a clerical job, and I have to sit a lot in front of the laptop. Last year, the same thing happened, so I got ECG, blood sugar, cholesterol, and other tests done, which were all normal. And the pain went away after 5 to 6 days. I am around 40 years of age and a non-smoker, non-drinker, and vegetarian. Please guide me how to get rid of this pain. The pain is very mild and not regular, but it is irritating and also causing tension. Should I do all the tests again? Please provide your valuable guidance. Thanks.

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • From the history and facts, it appears to be a non-cardiac pain. Also, you had similar pain in the past, and it was non-cardiac, so I think there is no need to worry.
  • Also, the cardiac pain will not worsen on movements or application of pressure, so in all probabilities it is non-cardiac. However, just to be crystal clear, you could get an ECG (electrocardiogram) done, and if it is negative, then there is absolutely no need to worry. It will also provide objective evidence.
  • It is most likely musculoskeletal in origin. You should get your vitamin D levels checked. Later, get cervical spine x-ray done to rule out cervical spondylosis.
  • At present, I suggest you try taking tablet Lyser D (combination of Serratiopeptidase and Diclofenac) or tablet Diclofenac 50 mg twice a day after meals along with some antacid like tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg before breakfast for 2 to 3 days.
  • You could also try Diclofenac gel or spray for local application three times a day. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.

Hope this helps you, and get back if you have any doubts.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

Kindly give your suggestion based on my blood report.

Query: Hi doctor, I am having mild chest pain over the last three days. I also feel lazy and less energetic for few months. I have done routine checkup. Can you please give suggestion based on the report attached?  Read Full >>

Dr. Prashant Valecha
Cardiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Get ECG (electrocardiogram), 2D echo and TMT test (treadmill test) to rule out any cardiac risk. Your homocysteine levels are little high (attachment removed to protect patient identity), which may be the factor responsible for hypercoagulable state. Repeat homocyste...  Read Full

My ECG is normal and heart rate is high. Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor, I recently observed that my heart rate (including the resting one) is high. Resting rate is between 75 to 85 beats per minute and an average brisk walking rate is around 115 to 120 beats per minute. When I was unaware, I lived a perfectly normal life with 15 to 16 active hours. However, ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding your heart rate, it is fine to have a resting heart rate of 75 to 84 beats per minute. It does not signify any major abnormalities. Exercise, stress, anxiety, smoking, caffeine can certainly lead to pulse rate elevation. So, as you mentioned, your ECG (elec...  Read Full

Is surgery necessary for inflamed eye carbuncle?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a small ball in the corner of my left eye, (on my nose side). I have looked it up and apparently, it is an inflamed eye carbuncle. The surrounding area inside my eye is becoming increasingly red. Please what is the regular treatment for this? Do I need surgery? I am taking anti...  Read Full >>

Dr. Manish Mahabir
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Good that you are taking antibiotics, in addition to it, take anti-inflammatory drops like Flurbiprofen eye drops. If still severe pain or redness, you may need oral anti-inflammatory drugs like Serratiopeptidase. Do apply hot compresses. No surgery required for now. Se...  Read Full



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Cardiologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.