Q. My mother has chest pain and breathlessness. What do we do?

Published on Jul 08, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 19, 2019

My mother has the following complaints. She is feeling rotating chest pain. She has breathing difficulties while walking. I have uploaded her ECG for further investigations.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

I have studied her ECG (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and there is no significant abnormality. I would like to know the following details regarding breathlessness and chest pain that she gets:

1. Is it during walking or sitting position?
  2. Is it continuous or intermittent?
  3. Is there any previous history of diabetes or hypertension?

Here are the answers to your questions.

She is diabetic for the past 10 years and not under control. Her blood sugar level is 200/250 mg/dL. As a part of her profession, she had been sitting in a chair for more than 18 hours per day. But nowadays, she used to spent only 8 to10 hours per day and that too twice or four times a month. After a long walk she will be panting, not so high but I can spot that out when she speaks. She is not getting proper sleep too.

#

Diabetes is the biggest complication creating disease. So, she should take her medicines regularly to maintain her blood sugar levels.

If she is less mobile, the possibility of cardiac issues and deep vein thrombosis increases. We should not rely on ECG in her case. She should get a Tread Mill Test (TMT), echo, and doppler legsdone. Moreover, she should be given blood thinners in the form of antiplatelet drugs like Aspirin. Your doctor would start her with an assumed dosage and will modify the medicines based on her blood sugar values. She would definitely require weight reduction.

There are two ways of diabetes management:

1. Lifestyle changes - Includes diabetic diet, daily exercise, cholesterol, and weight management.
  2. Drug therapy - If blood sugars are so high, they cannot be well controlled on any dietary measures. So the medicines are required based on the blood sugar levels.

I would advise you to get her following investigations done:

1. HbA1c.
  2. Fasting lipid profile.
  3. Serum creatinine.
  4. Urine for microalbumin.

Stay healthy.

What is the acceptable range for blood glucose levels?

Query: Hello doctor, I have gotten different answers from various different doctors on this question. Maybe, you can give me a straight answer. What is the acceptable range for blood glucose levels? Some people say the lower end is 70 and some others say the lower end is 130. Please explain.  Read Full »

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

Can Aspirin be used to induce periods?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 20 years old. I had unprotected sex on the 10th day of my period and then took Unwanted 72 within an hour. Now my period has been delayed by 12 days. The pregnancy test done after 10 days of missing period is negative. But, I am getting pimples, bloated stomach and white vaginal disc...  Read Full »