Q. What can be done to reduce chest and abdominal pain due to stomach ulcer?

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

I am 29 years old male. I have chest pain, abdominal pain from the last two months. Recently, I visited a gastroenterologist. He tested endoscopy, RUT and vitamin D. I have a small ulcer in the stomach, RUT test is also positive because of H.Pylori bacterial infection and vitamin D is below 10. I am using antibiotics from 10 days but chest pain was not controlled. I have taken ECG also, it is normal. Please suggest me how to reduce pain in my chest.

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

#

An elaborate description of your chest pain would have helped much, but as you reported your ECG is fine. I do not think it is related to any cardiac cause. If the chest pain develops after some physical activity you must get yourself a TMT (treadmill test) done to rule out angina. As you told that you have got an upper GI endoscopy with rapid urease test done and an ulcer was found on UGIE. You must be on triple drug H.Pylori eradication therapy the duration of which is about 10 to 14 days. So do not worry, first finish off your HP kit. Your gastroenterologist will call you for a review endoscopy after four weeks to look out for ulcer healing. before that stop PPI (proton pump inhibitor) for at least seven days. and get a stool antigen for H.Pylori done or any other test to confirm eradication of H.Pylori.

You can try the following lifestyle modifications. (Although they are of benefit in GERD only). Keep a few pillows while sleeping, to elevate your head end. Sleep on left-lateral position. Try reducing weight if you are overweight. Do regular exercise for about 30 to 45 minutes per day for at least five days a week. The following are of unproven benefit: Eat small evening meals, and avoid sleeping just after a heavy meal. Do not eat heavy late night. Reduce your tea or coffee intake. If it is pain due to GERD it will be reduced by the above measures. An ulcer pain, usually responds to the PPI therapy. Give some time for treatment to respond.

|