Q. Are streaky opacities in chest X-ray associated with malignancy?

Dr. Vivek Chail
Published on Sep 25, 2019

There are streaky opacities seen on my chest X-ray. I would like to know more about the meaning of these findings. Are streaky opacities associated with malignancy? My key symptom is shortness of breath. I have no coughing, no fever, no sputum, and no hemoptysis. Also, I am an ex-smoker and have just quit smoking for two months (my smoking history: around 20 years, around 20 cigarettes per day).

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below.

Streaky opacities scattered in both lung fields means that there might be small straight lung shadows along the air passages on your X-ray on both the sides. These prominent airways in the lungs are seen in both lungs and might be due to some sort of inflammation in the airways or possibly due to changes as a result of any lung infection which you had months to years back. This is not indicative of malignancy but with a history of smoking for 20 years and recent onset breathlessness, it requires detailed evaluation.

However, you need to get lung function tests (spirometry) done to know if your lung breathing volume and capacity are within normal limits. Spirometry will also show any reduced breathing capacity that you might have developed due to smoking for 20 years. Your symptoms of shortness of breath might be either due to reduced breathing capacity and exchange of gases in the lungs or due to a heart-related problem. In conclusion, I recommend that you get the lung function tests and an echocardiography is done to confirm that the functioning of lung and heart are within normal range. You can take medicines as given by your doctor and get the X-ray chest repeated after 15 days. If the streaky opacities persist then doing a CT scan chest might be required to study the air passages in detail.

What is the problem for having chronic allergy with frequent cough and cold?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from a chronic allergy. I have a frequent cough and cold. I am using Montelukast sodium and Levocetirizine. It prevents the symptoms. But when I stop taking it, the cough gets increased.  Read Full >>

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your history, it is clear that you are suffering from allergic rhinitis and bronchial asthma. To confirm it, you have to do a spirometry test that is PFT (pulmonary function test). If it is significant, then you must take a regular inhaler treatment. Montelukast an...  Read Full

How to treat breathlessness in a metastatic breast cancer patient?

Query: Hi doctor, The patient is oxygen dependent because of pleurodesis since 1 month. She is suffering from breathlessness after talc pleurodesis. She has metastatic breast cancer with distant spread to the lung and liver. There is residual pleural effusion along with bilateral lower lobe consolidation. ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read all the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) including your CT scan. It is very sad to be in such a situation with multiple problems. Metastatic breast cancer with underlying lung comorbidities is the cause of her breathlessness. Overal...  Read Full

Do my X-rays show the beginnings of asthma or COPD?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with bronchitis yesterday in the emergency room. Felt very weak and difficulty breathing and could not wait for my doctor appointment in two weeks. I have an unproductive cough for a month and a half and burning in my chest. Today very breathless when talking. Do these X-...  Read Full >>

Dr. Abaranam
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. These X-rays show dilatation of your airways (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From X-ray, we cannot confirm the diagnosis. To differentiate asthma and COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) you need to do a spirometry testing. That will confirm th...  Read Full

Ask a Radiologist Now