Q. Can I breast feed during chickenpox? Is that safe for the baby?

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara

I am 22 years old, and I am a mother of four months old baby. Recently, I have got infected with chicken pox. Does breast milk transfer chicken pox to the baby? Do I need to take special care of my baby? Can I do breastfeeding now? Does it affect my child? Please help.

#

A mother who contracts chickenpox can do breastfeeding. Any vesicles present on the breast should be covered to minimize the risk of transmission. There is no evidence shown the presence of the varicella-zoster virus (Chickenpox) in breastmilk. Hence breastfeeding is safe. Breast milk does not transfer chickenpox to the baby. The doctor may prescribe Acyclovir 800 mg five times a day if you are seen within 24 hours of rash onset. It reduces the time to have full crusting of lesions and reduces the number of lesions. Acyclovir can be taken during breastfeeding. It is safe to take. Keep your nails short to minimize the damage from scratching.

|