Q. What causes itchy fluid filled lesions and throat pain?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 25, 2019

My son who is 28 years old is 6 feet tall and weighs 84 kg. He had an issue of urticaria last year and was under medication. He had a course of antihistamines for a month. About five hours ago, he noticed lesions this morning that was itchy. After bathing, the lesion on back has become red and looks to be popped out. He has got small vesicles around five in numbers in his arm, thighs and back. He had throat pain yesterday, but it has subsided now. He is on medication for GERD and taking Pantosec DSR since 15 days.

#

I have attached the pictures (attachments removed to protect identity).

Well, is it just a five hour history? Are these vesicles increasing in number?

It is looking like chicken pox caused by herpes simplex.

Since this disease is in initial stage, I can just make a provision diagnosis not confirmatory diagnosis. It will become clear in two to three days as chicken pox takes two to three days to come full blown.

The following are the clinical features of chicken pox:

1. Same vesicles as in photos comes which are fluid filled and itchy.
  2. If you look closely there could be small pin point middle of vesicle are seen which characteristic of herpes.
  3. On and off fever is very common and sore throat too as you have explained.
  4. Most of the time it comes once in life time. So, if your son had not been suffered with this more chance to get it.

Do not hurry as it is totally curable. Just wait for two days. If it is chicken pox more vesicles will come and later you can start treatment.

Treatment is Acyclovir 400 mg five times in a day for 10 days.

Revert back after ten days to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Can he bathe normally with soap and shampoo?

#

• Take bath with mild warm water. Avoid applying soap and shampoo too much. You can use little amount.
  • Whole idea is chemical should not irritate the skin. It is fine to clean the skin with smaller amount.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

It is one week since we consulted you. We tried home remedies like, bathing in water with neem leaves. The vesicles which had appeared a week before have now become dry and looks like dry wound. But yesterday about five new vesicles appeared in the chest. Even today, there are about six new vesicles. He also has itching. Wherever he says, there is itching, the next day we see a vesicle there. He had vaccination for chicken pox in his childhood. Some say it is an atypical variant and that is why such vesicles are appearing. Is it true? Do new vesicles appear even after five days? When will it get resolved? Does he need a physical examination? Do we have to consult a dermatologist in person?

#

First, we have to be sure whether it is chickenpox or not. As symptoms are in favor of chickenpox, I assume it as chicken pox only. Visit the local dermatologist just for diagnosis and to confirm whether it is chickenpox or not.

Your son has taken the vaccine, but still, there is always a chance of getting it at least once in a life. Although chickenpox goes itself without any medication and in that situation time duration will be almost twice of time taken by medicines. If it is chickenpox, then you must take an antiviral drug like Acyclovir. Medications also decrease further complications.

Home remedies will not be much useful. And yes without medication new vesicles may appear even after five days because of reinfection.

For further doubts consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|